Ximena 10yo

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
All very impressive stuff. I have a different take but what matters is how does this help the OP and his daughter. Maybe you can suggest some drills?

The suggestions I made earlier were the ‘drills’. More of a balanced 50/50 set up. Wait as long as you can against a machine/toss/tee before you start things without being late. This stops sway and lunge. You simply takeaway those things when you time from a 50/50, you have less time to get unbalanced. You only have time to get leveraged and swing.

High tee drill or a chop feel dry swings aka Bonds drill like vlad jr. takes on a whole new feel for a hitter. Space and path are very easy to create. ‘Free hands’ is the best way to describe it. For me I like high tee w hit it where it’s pitched. Set the tee up high inside, outside and middle. You might need to emphasize lead hand/arm on top and to flatten (palm down) a bit. Depends on the hitter. But the barrel needs to be delivered from over the shoulder. It will dip a bit behind on an outside pitch but the hands have already cleared. Get the player to feel how the hands never dip down past the sternum. This will get posture more involved to help adjust to pitch heights.

When you couple the earlier leverage(50/50 walking pattern) w an unimpeded hand/bat path things really start to fall into place. Resistance (stretch) in the right areas happens naturally. Sequencing isn’t hard to attain or maintain. Space is available to get to any quadrant.

The early leverage is the front hip going out towards the plate while the back hip goes back. Once that’s completed dynamically, stretch happens from front hip to back shoulder naturally through the stride.

For me I just tell them to start their move from a 50/50 and deliver the barrel from above the back shoulder.

Edit: always emphasize line drives. I know that goes without saying.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
If you play golf or understand golf’s swing plane you know that it’s best to be a bit under the swing plane more than over it. With hitting you would rather be over the swing plane to cover the zone. Stan’s path is ideal imo.

1691069948308.gif

Teds was the same

1691070103407.gif

Same here

1691070231103.gif

Reactions: TDS

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
If you play golf or understand golf’s swing plane you know that it’s best to be a bit under the swing plane more than over it. With hitting you would rather be over the swing plane to cover the zone. Stan’s path is ideal imo.

View attachment 28487

Teds was the same

View attachment 28488

Same here

View attachment 28489

Like Bonds says, anyone can hit the low pitch.

Eb0TTUc.gif

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I think a good feel to learn an on top path is lead arm solo high tee swings also. Kinda set the lead arm tight to the body so the path is more from in to out. After all we are trying to get the head out. We’re not trying to create more lag than is necessary. A tight pivot should be the result.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Here she is at toe touch
Notice her head (orange) is not in the center (yellow). She is striding (barely) with her front leg. Stride as far as you can with the back leg (her feet should be 2-3 inches further apart after this). Dont 'reach' with the front leg. Make sure the head is roughly between the legs (yellow).
You MUST land on a very bent front knee. (so you can straighten it through to contact)
dfo-2023-0803-1-1.jpg

And here is what happens as a RESULT. The leg is still straight (orange) and your body is laying back. Her hips should have rotated farther at this point. Leaning forces her to 'gate swing' her back hip around her front leg/hip (slow) vs twisting both hips around the spine (fast).
dfo-2023-0803-2-1.jpg

Fix this then we can work on the way she pushes her hands down after hip slot.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Was Stan one-legged? Asking for a friend.

Watch the stripe of his pants. He is one legged both ways. First the back leg, bow and corner, then the front leg bows. However in that swing he is obviously very early and making a huge adjustment. Too bad there’s not more at bats of him.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
After the lead arm is educated, learn how to load it. It’s really important since that’s what initiates the launch of the bat. Most players walk away from their lead hand which works. Others will push the hands back to aid in proper ‘connection’. connection has been taught through the back arm/shoulder for the last 20 years. That’s a pushy looser swing imo. Good for the inside outers. Remember the lead arm pulls early and the back arm pushes later.

A main component to learn front side ‘connection’ or leverage is to make sure the lead arm remains independent until the forward move adducts the lead arm. Like Jr. The chest will remain square until front foot initiation usually and it will counter rotate away from the target while the hips slightly open during the swing decision.

1691152760811.gif

If you find your player is pushing the hands back to far, the forward move isn’t gaining enough ground. If the player is not moving the hands far enough back, the forward move is too big. That’s just a baseline for good loading. But what you should feel is a strong pull/stretch of the lead shoulder. If you don’t have that, you mostly spin or push. You need to find the middle so it’s balanced stretch. That’s optimal. But hitting the ball and in game results will tell you if they need more or less also. Aesthetics are overrated. Everyone is a little different. But we’re all built the same.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA