Wrist bands for plays. Thoughts?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 18, 2009
How do you feel about QB style wrist bands for play calling?

I saw it at a 12U game. Everyone had a wristband they looked at before every single at bat or pitch (on defense). It was definitely a good team. But I think maybe they would have been good without it also. Not sure how I feel about it yet. Is it a coach being thorough or over coaching?

I've seen it on some of the college teams on ESPN. Sometimes only the catcher. But sometimes the entire team.

Mar 22, 2010
Maryland
That is funny, I was thinking of this for my 10U tournament team... Not because we have real difficult signals... Belt = bunt, shirt = steel, but for some reason sometimes the girls like to use the excuse they forgot and that is why they did not steel etc... Well, if they have the band on, at least they won't have that excuse.

And, I know 10U girls will think they are like the coolest with their bands... Maybe they will never miss a signal again because of how cool they look....

So, in my opinion, why not?? QB's wear them, if it helps, I am for it!

Mar 13, 2010
I have one coach who has the exact same signal for every team he coaches. With the exact same key. I changed clubs this year. He watched me, watching him and put the bunt on. I thought for sure he couldn't be that stupid. He was. I walked off that dig and told everyone the signals and we got every steal, we got every bunt.

I don't see the need for them, but they don't hurt by having them.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I saw it at a 12U game. Everyone had a wristband they looked at before every single at bat or pitch (on defense). It was definitely a good team. But I think maybe they would have been good without it also. Not sure how I feel about it yet. Is it a coach being thorough or over coaching?

A 12U team with wrist bands? Were they the "The Stepford Wives-to-be?"

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2010
Maryland
I think every Team in the League uses the belt for the bunt sign. That or the old fashion 3rd base coach yelling “I want you to bunt”. :)

Yeah, I know... The funny part is I have witnessed some 10U coaches using a real extravagant signal system at 10U and then throw a fit when their player gets in the batters box and does something different.

I can tell the 9 year old girl stepping in the box is wide-eyed and confused right when she steps in there, but probably is worried about telling her "extravagant signal giving coach" that she does not understand what he is communicating.... More than likely because if she signals she does not know what was being translated they will throw a fit anyways because she does not understand.

I am trying to build confidence, not cause them to be worried about their ability to memorize signals at 9 years of age...

So the choice for my 10 year old's is either confuse the crap out of them with extravagant signals, or make it easy on them and build their confidence.... Plus I can get rid of the easy to read signals. I do change indicators but still, if it makes my life easier and my players confidence increase, worth a shot.... I will let you all know how it goes, by Nationals I would like to incorporate them. I will post how it all worked out, or if it just became distraction to the girls.

Good Luck everyone!!

May 10, 2010
I started using them this season for our 10u All-star team. Works great and only issue thus far is girl did not see/hear complete sequence. I have 10 plays (0-9) on the play card. I will give/yell 3 digits. We will have one "hot #". So, if 2nd number is hot, a 3-1-4 - the 1 would be our play. I've seen some much more complicated, but don't think we need to go there at this age.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA