Would you start your #1 pitcher in the first game today?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 26, 2013
If you're the coach of an undefeated team today that only has to win 1 game to advance and you have an ace that is significantly better than your #2 starter, would you start the ace in the first game today? Would it depend on whether the other team has 2 excellent pitchers?

Jun 24, 2013
It is hard to say without knowing more. I certainly would not chase an undefeated season.

If you think you know the other team and you think you have a good chance with your #2, let her pitch.

Not as good as knowing the Team but warm-up both your pitchers and watch the other Team’s pitchers warm-up. Take a stab if your #2 can either win or keep you in the game.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I have been in this position more times than I care to remember. Start the ace, try to get a lead and get her out of the game. Almost every time I have tried to go with #2 we never advanced. Having your ace in the circle does much more than provide better pitching. The entire team steps up their game.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Did the Ace throw 188 pitches, yesterday?
Possibly. It should not be that big a deal if they are conditioned and have good mechanics. Much more than pitch count factors into the overall equation. Comparing pitch counts across multiple pitchers while interesting is kind of meaningless. That is why I have to laugh at the arbitrary pitch counts imposed by the misguided. Kind of like asking how far should a kid be allowed to run.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Start your #1 then pull her if you get a decent lead. If you don't win you don't advance right? What's the point of letting your #1 sit on the sidelines for a one and done day?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Start your #1 then pull her if you get a decent lead. If you don't win you don't advance right? What's the point of letting your #1 sit on the sidelines for a one and done day?

This is my strategy. Win the game in front of you and deal with the next game when you get there.

The only way I don't do this if the first team is really a team that my #2 should be able to beat 95 times out of 100. I can live with a loss if I feel those are the odds going in.

Mar 26, 2013
This was about the NCAA regional finals today where the 2-1 team has to beat the 2-0 team TWICE to advance to the super regionals. The 2-0 team only has to win 1 game to advance.

I'm guessing from Riseball's experience that momentum plays a part in this and losing the first game makes it tough to rebound in the second game, even with a fresh ace.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
If my #1 is significantly better than my #2 I start my ace and go for the jugular in game #1.

If I have a #2 that I have confidence in then I start my #2 knowing I'm going to have my #1 ready for the elimination game if needed.

Just my $0.02

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog