Worst weekend ever

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
We use the 24 hour rule after an event. If DD brings up softball we talk about it, but it happens rarely. She did say between games yesterday she was getting frustrated not hitting the ball well. I mentioned to her to correction her coach had provided earlier this season - she did go on to have some success in later games.

Oct 3, 2009
Sorry sluggers, but I disagree. Our children are not a constant list of flaws that have to be fixed. It does become sensory overload.

She was sick, didn't practice, and therefore she lost her mental edge and was suffering from fatigue. None of this will probably happen again. I would simply congratulate her for being a trooper.

How much more do you need to dig into it?

(FYI: Before you say I need to be tougher, I pitched at a D1 school with none of this constant reflection on days I played sick or injured and it affected my performance.)

I actually read his post slightly different and I think he was going to be the point I was going to make. When my daughter is having an off-day physically, I watch how she "competes". Is she emoting or thinking through what is happening and making adjustments. And for me that is a great life lesson, you are going to face adversity but how do you deal with it? With pitching it is understanding why you are missing or not spinning the ball correctly, etc. and then making the proper adjustment. You cannot do that if you are emoting and getting upset.

So on the ride home I will tell her how well she competed (assuming she did) and ask her what adjustments she was making and why. Then we usually go eat ice cream and talk about other stuff.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
MY DD did well as far as keeping her cool ... said she was weezing, hard to breath, felt weak.
She was trying to adjust but her body just wasn't responding to what her mind was saying ...
didn't look upset ... no tears, no stomping of the feet ...

Coach finally took her out in the 4th .. put her at 2nd .. kept her in just in case, I guess ..

Came home from school and wanted to pitch today ... omg ... she is so stuffy & pale and had a really bad day at school. Glad she isn't discouraged ... but I convinced her that giving her body a day and getting rid of the cold would be better for her ...
pitching and correcting would be more productive if she felt better.

Reluctantly agreed ...

Oct 19, 2009
Rethinking the definition of a mistake as something bad or wrong to an opportunity to learn encourages players to think about and monitor their own performance. In other words it empowers them, and in my opinion can result in a player performing at a higher level.

It’s not what happens to you, but how you react to it!!!!!

May 5, 2008
If the situation is as you describe (little practice, not feeling well) then there's not much to "handle."

Talk with her about what she can do in the future to avoid this kind of outing and leave it at that.

If I were her parent, I would have been upset that she was relied upon so heavily after missing practice and not feeling well. ;)

I'm thinking she probably did her best given the circumstances and I'm cool with that.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30