Worst kid on tem

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 10, 2014
My DD is the worst kid on her rec league 14u summer travel team. To the point where she could even be causing some losses. She is not getting on base. Errors in the field when ball comes to her. We have a handful of tournaments left. The coach hasn't said anything but I feel bad for the other players. Do we conveniently find other things to do some weekends…she might not notice…or just let it roll. Thanks.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
It's rec league. If she's having fun and putting forth effort, that's all that matters. Make no apologies. You might be closer to this than I am, but in my experience, teammates at this age will like and accept you based on effort and personality, not ability. If she's a nice kid who tries, I'd bet there are other players who would be voted off the island quicker than she would.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Is she trying to compete or is she just there? If she is trying to compete, keep encouraging, no harm-no foul. If she is just there, maybe it's time to mosey on.

Jun 10, 2014
I think she knows she is worst on team but probably not realizing the impact. She is mostly there but think getting a bit discouraged. She feels a little lost. She played 12u but bc of age has to play 14u summer team. Changed her swing, position, etc. so a bit hard. She doesn't have any school or lessons to back her up or even prior all star experience, unlike the other kids. So far, just here on ability in 12u. Some teams are 15u. She is a bit out of her league.

Oct 3, 2009
My DD is the worst kid on her rec league 14u summer travel team. To the point where she could even be causing some losses. She is not getting on base. Errors in the field when ball comes to her. We have a handful of tournaments left. The coach hasn't said anything but I feel bad for the other players. Do we conveniently find other things to do some weekends…she might not notice…or just let it roll. Thanks.

I have posted a few times about my oldest DD who has been lucky enough to be a pretty successful pitcher. My youngest DD on the other hand plays softball but acting and playing soccer are more her thing. She lingers near the bottom of her rec team every year and she is perfectly happy. Now because she grew up at the ballpark she has all the mannerisms, chatter, etc. of a top player. But bless her soul once the ball comes her way it gets interesting. :) I know on more than one occasion she cost her team games. But her teammates love her. Last year she was voted one of two all-stars by her teammates. We all got a good laugh and she even went to the coaches and said this is really nice but all-star?? And they told her that is how her teammates voted and she earned it.

Now I have to admit early on sometimes I felt bad and worried what the other parents thought especially when she would call a ball in the outfield, look like she was planted under it, only to have it land 15 feet behind her. :) I am not proud of that fact but it is the truth. So I only tell you this story because I learned it is not about how I feel but how my DD and her teammates feel. They are what counts and they saw it completely different than I did. Hope that helps a little. :)

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
Girls have to feel good to play good. Thinking shes the worst on the team will guarantee that comes to be.

Do not let her feel this way. Her self esteem is supposed to be grown in this game not torn down by it. I feel you got a bigger problem going on. Teenage depression is a major problem in this era and suicide rates are HIGH. Please look deeper into why she feels this way and do more than tough it out or mosey on-seek help.

Jun 10, 2014
Girls have to feel good to play good. Thinking shes the worst on the team will guarantee that comes to be.

Do not let her feel this way. Her self esteem is supposed to be grown in this game not torn down by it. I feel you got a bigger problem going on. Teenage depression is a major problem in this era and suicide rates are HIGH. Please look deeper into why she feels this way and do more than tough it out or mosey on-seek help.

I think she was a strong 12u player and now playing 14u all stars, so she is struggling. If this was a 12u team and she suddenly tanked, think perhaps. I see your point, though. We don't say much to her. Certainly don't put her down and just make sure she is having fun. I think she always took pride (not big head) in her softball. Now probably thinking she stinks.

I just mostly feel bad for the team and wonder if it is bad etiquette to keep showing up. Not sure what coaches usually do.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
How much is she practicing at home? What glove does she use? (Is it big enough?) How many softballs does she have? She needs a dozen or so and a great bat, that fits her.

Running a little bit, each day is easy and will help her, too. I don't mean much. But once around the entire field is good.

Jun 10, 2014
How much is she practicing at home? What glove does she use? (Is it big enough?) How many softballs does she have? She needs a dozen or so and a great bat, that fits her.

Running a little bit, each day is easy and will help her, too. I don't mean much. But once around the entire field is good.

We are doing 2-3 team practices/week and weekend tournaments, so for now, for her, that is enough. Her bat is good and I think her glove fits her. We were thinking about giving her some lessons this winter and maybe then, we could get better feedback on equipment, etc.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA