Working on Throwdowns - Update

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 1, 2011
Posted a video a while back of DD's throwdown in a game (warm-ups before the inning starts). I haven't caught one in a game situation yet, but hoping to next weekend. What we've been working on:

• Not standing straight up after receiving the ball
  • Driving with the backside
  • No big wind up
  • Following through with the backside

We had a girl leave the team so we were working with our newly dubbed Shortstop on receiving throwdowns. DD had already put her gear up, and was ready to leave. I was making the throws. She sprinted out of the dugout and said "Dad, let me do a couple, and you video." DONE. I will say, and if you turn up the volume you can hear it, the wind was blowing about 15-20 MPH straight out of centerfield, so her throws weren't getting all the way there. But, from the last post, I took away the mindset that I'd rather her work on a quick/explosive release and have the ball one hop to second. In the games, her adrenaline has been making up for that. Anyways, here's the latest video.

Mag Throwdown Practice - YouTube

I like posting stuff about progress. You can always get better, and I've found that posting videos on here usually draws some very useful feedback, even when you think you've turned the corner. As always, thanks in advance for any comments/criticism.

Josh

Feb 24, 2012
Needs to work catching with 1 hand instead of 2 then pop glove to ear. Throwing hand pulls ball out at ear. This will improve speed of transfer. Also, have her "follow her throw." When she releases the ball her body stops and all momentum is stopped. Back leg keeps driving past front leg. This will give more power and stop that short hop even into the wind. When she stops her back side it makes the throwing arm short and ball will dive. JMO!!!!! Hope this helps! Doesn't look bad at all.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
A good improvement over the last post if I recall correctly and far better than most at her stage. Also, IIRC you have the NECC video? If you don't, get it, but if you do, the biggest deviations I see are that your DD is using a staggered stance and is traveling forward with her right foot. The stagger reduces her ability to move laterally and block effectively which will cost you more bases than you could ever gain even if it provided for a better caught stealing percentage, which I don't believe it does. The right foot traveling forward is giving her momentum now, but will become unnecessary as she matures and gets stronger. That move reduces lower body power, takes more time, and potentially has her stepping, and slipping, on home plate depending on pitch location. I firmly believe that the Weavers were right when they advocated teaching young catchers the most effective and efficient mechanics from the start. Yes, there might be a trade off initially, but if I had the choice of my DD being an outstanding C when she was younger than 12U v. older than 12U, I know which one I'd pick!

Tell DD good job and to keep up the hard work!

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2012
For a 10U catcher this is really good. But get the NECC video. It has great piece by piece mechanical instruction. My biggest concern is not the throw down but her arm action is led with a little J motion combined with a double whip by the elbow. This kind of arm action is hard on her elbow long term as a catcher. The NECC videos can walk you through drills and proper mechanics of the throw. Also, get the throwing hand in a fist while taking the pitch. Foul tip and a broken thumb and she is out for the summer.

May 1, 2011
Sorry for the lapse in response.

Crush - Totally get the overhand vs. underhand thing. The overhand throw actually take everything downward in that video. I think it really hampered her handling time.
Coach F - not quite sure what you're talking about (technical terms). I have another post on her of her throwing motion while she's warming up. If you would, take a peek at that and let me know what you see. I think that maybe in my verbal reminders of "quick" and "explosive," that maybe she's getting so quick with her throwing motion that it has somewhat become hurky jerky. I too noticed that. Will definately get that throwing hand in a fist too. She would be devastated if she had to miss time.

Thanks for all of the feed back guys. Keep it coming.

Josh

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
that maybe she's getting so quick with her throwing motion that it has somewhat become hurky jerky. I too noticed that

I definitely see that with my dd. We have worked for a month on "smooth" and "flow" with an mlb catcher. He keep telling her that he is taking away...not adding. Worked on making her throw as he said "a natural movement". She was rushing and trying to muscle the ball. We haven't timed her pop time, but as he said "I guarantee your slower feeling smooth flow is faster then when you were trying to rush it...and more accurate too."

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I definitely see that with my dd. We have worked for a month on "smooth" and "flow" with an mlb catcher. He keep telling her that he is taking away...not adding. Worked on making her throw as he said "a natural movement". She was rushing and trying to muscle the ball. We haven't timed her pop time, but as he said "I guarantee your slower feeling smooth flow is faster then when you were trying to rush it...and more accurate too."

Cleansing vs. Supplementing...

Not to quiz Sir... But I would be interested to know which one of the 5 DD could do without... My answer is one of the perfect circles...

perfect-circle-albums-my-pics-picture3387-sences.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG