Working on correct spin

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2008
The closer the spin axis stays cross ways between 3 and 9 the more the ball will move up or down depending on which direction the ball is spinning (forward or backward). That's it in a nut shell if you believe in the priority of making a ball move up or down. I don't think I saw any video in this subject area do this as well as I would like to see including my friend BM.

Mr. B........The only spin I've ever demonstrated on here is directly related to learning the feel of whipping the ball using I/R vs. pushing the ball........6/12 Spin Axis with the palm slightly inside but thrown straight ahead insures the ball is released at maximum acceleration/velocity of arm/wrist rotation.........IOW.......It's whip training........

Hell, I can spin that line straight over the top and straight under the bottom anytime I want......Thx to some lessons I took about 35 years ago........:cool:

This is all about learning whip.......And nothing more.........

11qpo5u.gif

Jul 31, 2011
Mr. B........The only spin I've ever demonstrated on here is directly related to learning the feel of whipping the ball using I/R vs. pushing the ball........6/12 Spin Axis with the palm slightly inside but thrown straight ahead insures the ball is released at maximum acceleration/velocity of arm/wrist rotation.........IOW.......It's whip training........

Hell, I can spin that line straight over the top and straight under the bottom anytime I want......Thx to some lessons I took about 35 years ago........:cool:

This is all about learning whip.......And nothing more.........

11qpo5u.gif

Mr.BM
The gear you use in your #1 example to me looks like 7-1 spin.

When you're apparently, as you say, demonstrating only I/R in that parking lot, you're spin looks like about 2-8. Are you saying then that after your student learns I/R, you then teach them 12-6 spin to learn the drop?

I would also like to say how much I appreciate what you bring to this forum!

Jul 14, 2008
Mr.BM
The gear you use in your #1 example to me looks like 7-1 spin.

When you're apparently, as you say, demonstrating only I/R in that parking lot, you're spin looks like about 2-8. Are you saying then that after your student learns I/R, you then teach them 12-6 spin to learn the drop?

I would also like to say how much I appreciate what you bring to this forum!

Yes exactly Rich........What I've found over the last 25 years of teaching is that IF we shoot for 6/12 rotation from day one.........The student focuses SO MUCH on getting the hand directly behind the ball that the consequence is ALWAYS loss of I/R and velocity.......

In fact, I'd venture to say that the ENTIRE REASON for the advent of the "hello elbow" style delivery is that it was derived from trying to get behind the ball early and "pulling up" on the seams........

What I learned 30 years ago from a VERY GOOD drop ball pitcher was that throwing drop was easy to accomplish..........Once you understood "where the thumb points" at release..........

So for me.........Turning the line from slightly inward to directly forward was a simple adjustment..........So my students always learn to throw with maximum whip, then learn to manipulate the thumbs orientation to adjust rotational axis..........So I have flame throwers that can throw 6/12 on demand.........

This is rotation somewhere between 1/7 and 2/8.....Notice the spin is NOT directly from top to bottom, but spinning from the top right to the bottom left........Hence the axis is NOT parallel/level to the ground........

2yyxf0j.gif

This is spinning top to bottom parallel/level to the ground.........With the axis turned slightly inward........

dzh1ma.gif

Nov 12, 2013
maritimes
so where is a thumb supposed to go to be a thumbbody? my dd is at a point where she throws a drop on occasion without knowing how she did it and i am too busy trying to catch the ball to keep a close eye on her.

Jul 22, 2012
This goes back to my question... My daughter throws a peel drop that sometimes looks like BM's gear # 1.... Other times the axis is turned more than gear # 1.... Still 12/6 just with the axis turned more... Previously I incorrectly said the axis was tilted... The axis is not tilted just turned more ... I believe this is a result of too much thumb being pointed to third and not being pointed down...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish