Working on correct spin

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 22, 2012
DD is 11 and throws her peel drop with similar Axis to # 1 but turned slightly more.... 12/6 spin but comes in angled

If gear # 1 is angled 10 degrees off then the angle of hers is closer to 30 degrees... is this a result of her thumb being pointed to third too much at release?

May 31, 2012
DD is 11 and throws her peel drop with similar Axis to # 1 but turned slightly more.... 12/6 spin but comes in angled

If gear # 1 is angled 10 degrees off then the angle of hers is closer to 30 degrees... is this a result of her thumb being pointed to third too much at release?

Sounds like bullet spin.

Feb 5, 2010
If I understand correctly, you have 12/6 spin but it is turned slightly. Angled to me would mean you have something other than 12/6. This can be as simple as the last finger not push off squarely. As her what part of her finger it leaves.

May 29, 2013
So if a bullet spins' axis is parallel to the ground and a straight line from second to home, changing either of those aspects would render it not a bullet spin. So a bullet spin while not optimal, may only be a small adjustment(and lots of practice) from something good.

It would help alot as stated to define the variables involved.

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
So if a bullet spins' axis is horizontal to the ground and a straight line from second to home, changing either of those aspects would render it not a bullet spin. So a bullet spin while not optimal, may only be a small adjustment(and lots of practice) from something good.

It would help alot as stated to define the variables involved.

Yup- DD had nice 1-7 ish spin, then she started working on a screwball for a couple of weeks with the old PC and she came out a bullet spinner in no time. I thought it was a problem at first and tried to get rid of it, but based on a couple of posts here, I just started calling it her embryonic riseball to give it a name. Once I started calling it this she was able to feel the difference between that spin and her normal good down/in spin.

May 29, 2013
My dd(lefty) threw me a curve at lessons last week. I could see the spin, perfect 3/9. I asked her what was that? What was what? No clue what she did. It came in straight down the right side of the plate, got a couple feet away then broke all the way to the other side of the plate. We'll have to see if we can find that one again. I almost broke my smile on that one. Good one kid.

May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
We shot this the other night. Might be helpful in understanding the 1 to 7 spin axis. IR1 was bullet spinning every pitch almost, Amy recommended a Spin Right Trainer, which I just happened to have and as crazy as it sounds...it worked in correcting the bullet spin just after a ten minute session using it. Now we're working on glove path, arm symmetry, and non-figure 4 finish. If she wants to pop that hip into the pitch she'll need to finish more like Amanda S.

Most of what I know I thank Rick Pauly and BM.

Last edited:
Willy
She is looking good.....timing and balance look great! Core torque/IR/Brush Interference all look good.
The spin orientation is definitely getting there.....just a few more crossfire drills and she should have it.

May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
Rick, I showed IR1 your glove side video and emphasized the importance of symmetry between both arms, that they work together in building speed and accuracy. She's getting better by the day, thank you so much for your help.

Jul 31, 2011
The closer the spin axis stays cross ways between 3 and 9 the more the ball will move up or down depending on which direction the ball is spinning (forward or backward). That's it in a nut shell if you believe in the priority of making a ball move up or down. I don't think I saw any video in this subject area do this as well as I would like to see including my friend BM.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG