Work the weird original fastball pitch or go with flip change?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 7, 2013
She started 2 Springs ago with a Fastball that had a sweeping door knob turn that has a 9-3 spin. (4seem) It appears to be a curve in that i've been trying to keep 2 inches outside the plate (Is this right?)

So i have been working on getting it more 7-1 more speed forward that is a faster fastball.
And I've been reading a change-up is the 2nd pitch to learn (flip change is her favorite (about 100 practice throws).
no game throws...

10yrold (she's 4'10" little hands) in 12u: This is her first Spring as a two pitcher setup(both pitchers on avg. 2 innings a game)...
During games i can see that 9-3 spin come out quite often as her natural pitch creeps back in.. She is having amazing success with on avg. 2 strikeouts an inning w/quite a few 1-3 hit backs..

I want to really work that thing, but don't want to refine--work that 9-3 thing if the next coach is going to end it ... and ask why she doesn't do a changeup.

Last edited:
May 18, 2009
3rd year she should start hitting spots and work on the change. Is she playing league or travel? In travel I would keep her in her own age bracket.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Iff she is a right handed pitcher vs right handed batter, and your getting 9-3 spin. That should be moving in on the batter, if I am getting the clear picture here.

Also assuming she is using closed mechanics.

If that is the case, have her place the leg of the horseswhoe between her index and middle finger. Once the ball clears the hip, release it a little farther out front than normal and as she releases it, have the index and middle fingers pointing as straigh down as she can. Cut the throwing hand sraight across from right to left.

If she is using open mechanics, that wont work out well at all. Hard to move the hand through your own gut.

Apr 7, 2013
She's regular Fairfax house league. Tincher type lunge pitching.
She's RH w/9-3 does break in towards the right
She finishes 45degree back drag foot coming up and then dropping back down (open) i believe... hand finishes like a gun pointing at first, palm facing her

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55