Winning Pitcher?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
I scored a 12U (B) game last November that was a bit interesting but a lot of fun. Another parent playfully argues with me about it every now and then and I want to make sure I'm correct. ASA Section 11.5.B applies, I believe, but the commas, and "or" after "and" or vice versa, always make me a little uncertain. Please weigh in.

12U ASA Pool play game. Top of 6, 1 out. Visitors up 4-0. R1 on 1B and R2 on 2B. HC pulls the starting pitcher and puts in a reliever. Pitcher throws 1 pitch, BR grounds to F4. F4 tags R1 advancing to 2B and turns the DP to get BR out at 1B. 3 out. PU calls "time, no new inning."

Home team scores 5 runs and walks off in the bottom of the 6th. PU calls ballgame.

I gave relief pitcher the W. NCAA rules are clear, relief pitcher would get the win (albeit one pitch). But it was ASA rules and I can misinterpret ASA 11.5.B. Who gets the win? Anybody?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
RP was pitcher of record when winning run scored - She should get credit for the official W.

There are some rules where you can award the win to someone else but generally those rules wouldn't apply in this situation because the pitcher was both effective and entered the game after the game was "official".

This is a good example of why the W stat is not the best way to judge a pitcher.

Mar 26, 2013
ASA scoring rules are woefully incomplete and that section is a perfect example of why they shouldn't be used. It only explains when a starting pitcher is entitled to get a win. 11.5.B is a convoluted mess that says a starting pitcher has to pitch at least half the innings in a shortened game. Use the ATEC/NFCA and/or NCAA rules instead.

The only time the scorekeeper gets to choose which pitcher is when the starting pitcher doesn't pitch enough innings to qualify and leaves with a lead that is not relinquished. Even if none of the relief pitchers is particularly effective, one of them gets the W.

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
The only time the scorekeeper gets to choose which pitcher is when the starting pitcher doesn't pitch enough innings to qualify and leaves with a lead that is not relinquished. Even if none of the relief pitchers is particularly effective, one of them gets the W.

so do you agree the RP gets the win?

Mar 26, 2013
The RP gets the win based on the basic rule of being the pitcher of record when her team took the lead that wasn't relinquished.

The only exception to the basic rule is when a SP doesn't pitch enough innings to qualify (e.g. at least 3 for a 5-inning game or 4 for a game of 6 or more innings). The innings don't have to be consecutive. For example, a SP could pitch 3 innings and leave with a big lead - thinking the game will only go 5 innings. The RP gives up some runs, but not the lead, and the SP comes back in the 5th and 6th innings. The 4+ total innings are enough to qualify the SP for the W.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand