Why so many injurys??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2010
Has anyone noticed??? Or is it that my dd's are playing in older age brackets and higher levels? Just though I'd throw it out there.

Oct 19, 2009
I don't know the nature of the injuries you are seeing, but maybe because of poor mechanics taught at a younger age, or poor mechanics allowed to continue maybe the reason for many. Young girls using poor mechanics are more likely to suffer injury in sports. When they get to HS age they are stronger and faster and these poor mechanics puts more stress on their joints and Skelton.

Coaches, parents and the female athlete are asking more than ever of the bodies and at a younger age. The AMA is reporting medical personnel are seeing more injuries in the female athlete than ever.

Articel on 5 common sports injuries.

5 Most Common Sports Injuries in Women

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I see more knee and ankle issues than anything. Keep in mind it is the wear and tear at the early years that causes the injury later. I agree with PEPPERS. All it takes is a few years wrong to cause the injury later on. Many studies are out there. I have posted many on the PEP program. Keep in mind many of these kids play more than one sport, so it is not just the softball stress. Last night I counted 6 girls with knee braces , due to knee injuries at my dd high school soccer game.

Oct 25, 2009
In our area soccer has been specifically noted as a prime sport for female ACL tears. There is planning to educate and condition the athletes among whatever other measures they will take.

Another reason for the increase in numbers is because there are many more females involved in sport than in the past, especially soccer. I would like to see a study that considered only fastpitch softball.

Whatever the sport, whatever the gender, athletes must condition. I know from my own observation that many programs/teams do not take the time to condition. That is a disaster waiting to happen. Conditioning may take time but it's time that must be taken.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Someone did mention growth plates and parents and coaches need to take care while young players are still growing. If someone could find info on that, I would be interested.

DD lost ½ this season with a growth plate Issue in her foot. Survived last year with the same Issue going to physical therapy @ twice a month. Doctor says if she can tolerate the pain she can play otherwise just sit down until it feels better.

70% of the time she is fine, the other 30% of the time you can see her limping around the field.

Doctor said once it settles down she will need to go back to physical therapy to learn to walk and run properly again. She wears a wrap and does specific exercises, not sure how much either helps.

Since she is not doing any more damage to it by running around I am sure the doctor could provide a shot to eliminate the pain for a short period of time, like national championship, but the topic never came up.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
Whatever the sport, whatever the gender, athletes must condition. I know from my own observation that many programs/teams do not take the time to condition. That is a disaster waiting to happen. Conditioning may take time but it's time that must be taken.

What are some good conditioning ideas for a 9 year old. Most teams around here only practice once a week and conditioning is not on the menu. But I would like to get the idea of conditioning now, before she get's older and more susceptible.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Women and Girls have more knee injuries then men and boys. Its not sexist to point it out, its the truth. Not only is it due to knee angle but there are also hormonal differences that create additional risk factors. Add in the diferences in how boys and girls jump and land and you will find that there are significant differences in the number of knee injuries between boys and girls. The good news is that with proper jump and un training the risk can be minimized. Trainers who understand this have had great success at reducing injuries at the pro and college level.

google Laura Ramus for lots of great info

Oct 25, 2009
What are some good conditioning ideas for a 9 year old. Most teams around here only practice once a week and conditioning is not on the menu. But I would like to get the idea of conditioning now, before she get's older and more susceptible.

Jumping rope is one of the best conditioning exercises you can do. It's inexpensive, doesn't take much space, and you can carry all the equipment you need in a bat bag or something even smaller.

There are many drills you should do that will work just about all of the muscles. Ross Training is one of the best.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp