Why jv at all

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I am going to coach JV Softball this Spring. My intention is to develop talent. We will work on fundamentals with the goal of making these young ladies too good to play JV. I am so excited about this. We have our own JV Diamond and so, the JV plays at the same time as varsity.

Rocketech, for us, these players are in "Athletic PE" and so, they do plyos and weight training. We have a very intense program and players can be removed if they don't show improvement in their measurements.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
CB, good point.

For that matter, why is softball, or any sport, part of HS? I think most will acknowledge that if the focus is on skill development then club ball fills the need. You can find club ball programs at virtually any skill level, with highly dedicated coaches that can work with players year round.

Don't get me wrong ... HS ball is fun ... but it is fun at both the Varsity and JV level ... and if the issue is that of skill development, then there are generally programs outside of HS ball that do a much better job and also cover a fairly diverse range of ability.

Nov 18, 2013
Indiana
Wow..around here, a sport isn't part of the PE/GYM. So that's odd to me. Then so is the other issues. We are one of the largest small schools in our state(yeah, sounds odd doesn't it) so that maybe part of it. Our conference is made up of Class A and Class 2A schools with a pinch of 3A in them. One team in the conference is Travel heavy with the other's MAYBE have 1 but most have 2. Ours has 3. A freshman and Two Juniors. And the Freshman is the only pitcher per say. (as in the only one that has had instruction and pitched the longest). Hence the life of a small school SB program. Now with that said, some schools do play the SENIORS play Varsity I don't care how good the underclassmen are. So politics, culture of school and size of school, plays huge on who does what. We have over 30 kids signed up. So we should have a V and a JV this year. But that could change as the dirt starts to fly in a couple of weeks.

Feb 7, 2013
Rocketech, for us, these players are in "Athletic PE" and so, they do plyos and weight training. We have a very intense program and players can be removed if they don't show improvement in their measurements.

Will they pick up a ball in Athletic PE or is it just conditioning and weight training? My understanding is in HS around here, it's basically a 6th period class that's a one hour softball practice. I'll get more info. since my DD is still in middle school where they have "zero" school sports.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
No ball. On game days, they get to do "other" work that is approved within the curriculum as to not wear them out for games. IOWs, if they lift etc. they don't have to do their normal work per our statistical program. Everything in that class is recorded in some manner and so, it is not a blow off class.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand