Why is softball different??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 1, 2010
I think it comes down to bang for the buck. In this day of budget cuts, etc I don't see this changing a bunch. Put yourself in the college coach's shoes, if you can fly to Huntington Beach or Colorado and see 20-30 girls that could possibly fit with your program or go to a H.S. game and see 1-2 at the most, whatcha going to do?

Don't know all the answers but talking to different coaches at my H.S., especially those coaching volleyball, swimming, diving, soccer, lacrosse, rugby, softball, all tell me that they have to deal with the fact that kids will more likely get recruited from their club team rather than the H.S. team. For the most part Football, basketball and somewhat baseball kids are recruited through their H.S. experience. Maybe they do a better job of conveying ability through video means???? IDK

JMO

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Good posts. One of the points I'm trying to learn and pass onto some local girls is the personal choices of their colleges. If they are wanting to stay close to the nest and go to a closer college the best road would be to play on a loacalized TB team.

Example*** We have a few TB teams ( 18u ) that only play interstate expo's. The coach or coaches have direct connections to "certain" college programs. Nothing big like D1, but smaller schools that are available for partial to full rides. ( we had a HS DD just sign last week private college using this example )

Example 2*** 2 years ago we had a HS player who did minimal TB ( within 150 miles ) and got a nice D1 ride in the bordering state.

Example 3*** Had 4 HS DD's with no TB period and they got partial and full's to CC's.

Example 4*** We have a couple of DD's that play 18 Gold and super travel. And it's very expensive to just play on that team let alone the travel expenses on the families. Will that pay off? Or will they invest $1000's and $1000's just to play at a local college in the end? I don't know!!! Even the Gold team is only producing 50% scholarships a year.

Like I have said before, our HS team is a group of young ladies that have played TB since 8yo. ( some have played together, some on different TB teams ) Some still have the dream of playing BIG D1, but honestly they don't have what it takes. ( and I'm not being mean, just realistic ) I just want to encourage them to follow what is in their best interest and what will work for their individual situations. Like Sluggers has said many times, college softball is about the experience, but more so it is about the education. ( even better if its free )

I try to be the realist in the crazy dad section. Some still have their heads in the clouds and need to prepare the DD's in this small window of opportunity.

Jul 26, 2010
Good posts. One of the points I'm trying to learn and pass onto some local girls is the personal choices of their colleges. If they are wanting to stay close to the nest and go to a closer college the best road would be to play on a loacalized TB team.

I'd strongly advise them to go and talk to the coaches on those local colleges. You might be surprised how willing they are to help out. Many kids get invited to pre-season camps with the hopes to lure them to those local colleges. Some TB teams are known to be feeder teams for local JR colleges. You might be genuinely impressed by how far out of their way these coaches will go when they hear that a seasoned softball player is interested in playing for their program some day. You can rest assured that they are likely as frustrated with their inability to get good talent as kids may be trying to show it off.

-W

Nov 29, 2009
Another big factor for the college coaches rarely attending HS games is they are limited in the number of recruiting days they have each year. There are dark periods where they can do nothing among a bunch of other rules. That is why they hit the showcase tournaments hard.

When my DD played HS they would have college coaches show up at their HS games if they were playing one of their top conference rivals during the week. Both teams were always loaded with top TB players. Most of the time it was near the end of the college season when their big traveling was done with and they were heavy into their conference schedule.

Jan 31, 2011
I definately think it is different in softball. We have local girls going to big colleges (pac 10, sec, big 10, big 12) quite often in soccer and basketball, being recruited at their hs games. In softball I can think of a couple at the in state Universities and only Cheslea Thomas (Mizzou pitcher) out of state in the last 10 years or so.
Boys...it is not even big news for football players to be going to Stanford and etc.

Don't forget Jadyn Spencer from Waterloo West @ Alabama now...

Jan 31, 2011
I have been to many clinics and I believe the vast majority of kids that get the looks from TB. All of the showcase tourneys(in my limited experience)advertise coaches names that are going to attend, kids see the list & contact the coach & send them their schedule. Its one step in the process. I truly believe then you MUST get your DD to the school's camp & stay in contact with the coach. There are so many kids, its tough to generalize what each coach is looking for in a kid & how they do it.

DD#1 is not very decisive on her choices of schools, but a D2 school in our state has shown interest in her and we did what I stated above. She's a jr in HS right now. Since the school is not far away, performing well in HS will help her this year. We have a state run website that keeps stats where you can view any kids performance in the state. I know stats are overrated, but that HR column can't be fudged, right?

DD#2 is a 13YO and is very passionate she wants to go to Ohio State to the dismay of all of our TB parents who are big Hawkeye fans, LOL. Our plan for her is to contact Coach Kalafatis & hit the Buckeye camps as many years as she can from this point forward. Then try to mesh her TB schedule & the coaches schedule with as many showcase events as we can over the next few years. AND keep her grades as far above 3.5 gpa as possible...I think HS softball in her case does not carry any weight.

And finally, have a back up plan! LOL.

Oct 14, 2008

Example*** We have a few TB teams ( 18u ) that only play interstate expo's. The coach or coaches have direct connections to "certain" college programs. Nothing big like D1, but smaller schools that are available for partial to full rides. ( we had a HS DD just sign last week private college using this example )

Example 2*** 2 years ago we had a HS player who did minimal TB ( within 150 miles ) and got a nice D1 ride in the bordering state.

Example 3*** Had 4 HS DD's with no TB period and they got partial and full's to CC's.

Example 4*** We have a couple of DD's that play 18 Gold and super travel. And it's very expensive to just play on that team let alone the travel expenses on the families. Will that pay off? Or will they invest $1000's and $1000's just to play at a local college in the end? I don't know!!! Even the Gold team is only producing 50% scholarships a year.

Like I have said before, our HS team is a group of young ladies that have played TB since 8yo. ( some have played together, some on different TB teams ) Some still have the dream of playing BIG D1, but honestly they don't have what it takes. ( and I'm not being mean, just realistic ) I just want to encourage them to follow what is in their best interest and what will work for their individual situations. Like Sluggers has said many times, college softball is about the experience, but more so it is about the education. ( even better if its free )

I try to be the realist in the crazy dad section. Some still have their heads in the clouds and need to prepare the DD's in this small window of opportunity.

Most D3 Colleges in Ohio are in the 30k range as far as tuition. So 50% of that is a pretty good chunk. Throw on top other schollies and other help a girl can receive and her pay back after 4 years of college could be as low as 30k. The goal if you have student loans should be to have less than the total income of one years salary of what ever job you have after college. That would be the ideal situation but as we all know life normally isnt ideal in every instance.

The cost of a cc here is about 2500 a year so if they only receive 500 dollars , and live at home their college needs can be met pretty easily.

Schollies vary so greatly between divisions and teams it almost seems impossible to try and put a realistic number on the amount you will receive. Its pretty weird you can take 2 players that are similar in athletic and academic ability and send them to college at comparable university,s and their packages will be no where near the same. All college teams needs are different just like the needs of the player/parents trying to find that schollie money. It can be a crap shoot at best to those that have not started early enough in the recruiting process.

I encourage every player and parent to start as early as possible, whether your desire is to play D1 or finish your education at a local cc. There is no wrong choice here. Its all about want and need of both the student and the college.

Tim

Oct 14, 2008
I think it comes down to bang for the buck. In this day of budget cuts, etc I don't see this changing a bunch. Put yourself in the college coach's shoes, if you can fly to Huntington Beach or Colorado and see 20-30 girls that could possibly fit with your program or go to a H.S. game and see 1-2 at the most, whatcha going to do?

Don't know all the answers but talking to different coaches at my H.S., especially those coaching volleyball, swimming, diving, soccer, lacrosse, rugby, softball, all tell me that they have to deal with the fact that kids will more likely get recruited from their club team rather than the H.S. team. For the most part Football, basketball and somewhat baseball kids are recruited through their H.S. experience. Maybe they do a better job of conveying ability through video means???? IDK

JMO

It probably has alot to do with Colleges and HS playing at the same time. In the mid west when HS ball has started. Alot of colleges are already a month into their season. Also kids are recruited at the travel level quite simply because coaches want to see the kids in question play the best competition they possibly can. If a coach is going to make a monetary offer they want to see what they are buying against better competition. Some HS teams may have on the avg 3 to 4 TB players. and the difference between the teams in terms of talent can be pretty wide.

In Ohio you will start to see some college coaches when the HS teams make their sectional, regional games. Alot more coaches will be seen at state finals. Lets face it colleges are a business and the coach will be making a business decisions by selecting the best players he or she can find.

Tim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd