Why D1 ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2019

View attachment 28899
I'm not talking about graduating, which I think is great. What are they doing once they graduate, softball players in particular? There is really no softball after college so what kind of careers are these D1 elite players having?

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I'm not talking about graduating, which I think is great. What are they doing once they graduate, softball players in particular? There is really no softball after college so what kind of careers are these D1 elite players having?
For some I have seen they are lost. Their jobs were softball and once they graduate they are not fully prepared for the next steps. This goes for many high level athletes in all sports.

May 27, 2013
I’m sure for many, it’s a “prestige” thing, or a bragging right to put it simply.

Why do so many HS students (non-athletes) strive for the Ivy League?

Same kind of concept.

I can also imagine that playing D1 (especially elite D1 - yes, I also consider there to be different levels among D1 programs) can open the door for those players who truly want to stay within the sport. They are the ones who would probably be able to land a coaching job at D1 program, or would have the better chance of playing on the National team or in the Olympics.

Similar to going to an elite academic school. It can open doors to certain careers due to the desire for students from these types of schools. The networking among elite academic programs is huge in areas such as investment banking, and the network typically includes all the schools within a certain conference like the Ivies or NESCACs.

Last edited:
May 13, 2023
imo, That question applies to all graduates regardless of sports.

Reminder College athletes also have the requirement to stay academically eligible. As well many teams have assigned academic tutors and counselors to help the result of graduating. There is a lot of emphasis on academics

Btw I posted the graduation rates just because it's part of going to college.

Last edited:
May 13, 2023
The limited number of scholarships available to a softball team almost guarantees your DD will need to come up with 10-20,000 dollars a year to attend a D1 college.
Really this should be clarified that D1 does not have less amount of scholarships available.
* *EDITED MOST have the addition of athletic money.
What they have are 12 full ride athletic scholarships that can be distributed how the coach wants. In addition to all the other type of scholarship money available at d3s like academic money and Merit money.

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Really this should be clarified that D1 does not have less amount of scholarships available.
*Actually they have the addition of athletic money.
What they have are 12 full ride athletic scholarships that can be distributed how the coach wants. In addition to all the other type of scholarship money available at d3s like academic money and Merit money.
That's not entirely true at every school. Some colleges do not allow for the combination of athletic and academic monies. Also, most elite academic schools do not offer academic money.

Last edited:
May 13, 2023
That's not entirely true at every school. Some college do not allow for the combination of athletic and academic monies. Also, most elite academic schools do not offer academic money.
I was referencing D1 colleges.
What colleges are you referencing?

Have never encountered a D1 college that did not have both but that does not mean I have direct knowledge about all D1 colleges.
If you are speaking directly about D1 colleges Can you find information to post to support that just to add for reference on the thread.
EDIT found info and posted it below.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
I was referencing D1 colleges.
What colleges are you referencing?

Have never encountered a D1 college that did not have both but that does not mean I have direct knowledge about all D1 colleges.
If you are speaking directly about D1 colleges Can you find information to post to support that just to add for reference and the thread.
I believe there are certain requirements that need to be met in order to stack academic and athletic scholarships which are outlined by the NCAA.

May 13, 2023
I believe there are certain requirements that need to be met in order to stack academic and athletic scholarships which are outlined by the NCAA.
Okay there may be the caveat of requirements to receive it. Just as there would be for other scholarship money. But I do believe D1 have the opportunity to offer both. If that isn't correct it would be nice for somebody to post a reference to that.

( it could be that a college coach has already handed out all their athletic money and there wouldn't be any left for that year)

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma