Who went to Pennsbury and How did it go?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
DD was cleared to play the day before Pennsbury's Clinic and she had wanted to go despite me wanting her to postpone it and go to another camp in July. I couldn't believe the number of girls there! Unfortunately it was moved indoors because of the weather, but it still went smoothly. She performed better than expected in some areas, and worse in some that I thought she'd shine. We have the exact dynometer that they use for grip strength at our house and she scored way lower than what she does frequently when we use it. She started out with a bad overthrow fielding but then settled in and I thought looked really good after that. Her running times came in a lot better than I expected too, because she was not built for speed:) Her ball exit speed was on par with what she's done in other camps but her throwing speed was much lower than previous camps. It was the first thing she did and she said she didn't get to warm up before.
As far as running speed...Shes got a large build and coaches always say they are pleasantly surprised at her speed so...Do I post her verified speed on her profile at 3.12? That by the way is a generous time, they must have been low overall.
What did you think of the clinic?

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Completely rained out today. Standing water on the fields and it's still coming down.

Are you still in the area?

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
DD went Wednesday afternoon for the Academic Recruiting Camp, which isn't as crowded. She's a pitcher and not a very big kid; she was pitching between 3 monsters - visually it tooked like someone brought their little sister along....if it wasn't my DD I would have been crying bacuase I was laughing so hard.

She did ok, not great. We'll see what responses come rolling in from the coaches who where there to see her.

Her team didn't get into the tournament this year. We had the same wether last year and the Saturday/Sunday games were cut to 60 minutes to get all the games in and have teams make their flights out.

Oct 10, 2011
Completely rained out today. Standing water on the fields and it's still coming down.

Are you still in the area?
Her coach decided not to do this tournament so we are doing one in Maryland this weekend. DD did make some friends and they were exchanging contact info. She said "Dad, 3rd basemen just seem to be so nice!" LOL

Oct 10, 2011
It is good to have the numbers posted--you don't have to do it, they do it for you. Other coaches can log in and see verified results.

I had a player go last yer. Although she was second in catching pop time, she only had one school contact her. The player is interested in certain schools in that geographic area (northeast) so she is doing the contact work and not relying on 'who shows interest in her.'
How tall is your daughter? DD is 5'6" and was the shortest in her group of infielders when they were doing agility etc...

Oct 10, 2011
It is good to have the numbers posted--you don't have to do it, they do it for you. Other coaches can log in and see verified results.

I had a player go last yer. Although she was second in catching pop time, she only had one school contact her. The player is interested in certain schools in that geographic area (northeast) so she is doing the contact work and not relying on 'who shows interest in her.'
I just meant if it should be on her recruiting profile (print out, web page etc...)
A friend of ours that went last year said two schools contacted her daughter but when we talked more about it, it ended up that DD got the exact same letters as her daughter and it had nothing to do with the camp. They were really disappointed. One coach there told a friend of mine that most of the coaches were focusing on incoming seniors and weren't paying much attention to other ages unless they heard they were a stud.

May 23, 2010
My 2016 went to the Academic Camp as an outfielder. She thought she did alright. Hitting went pretty well and she (and a few others) got to hit twice. Fielding was fine though she was disappointed that she didn't get any "tough ones". Some other kids got to dive or had to move quickly to the ball, but all of the fly balls were more or less right at her and grounders were hit softly, hardly had to move.

She is interested to see her 20 yard dash time - she isn't the fastest kid but thinks she did pretty well. They didn't tell her the time (or she wasn't listening). Probably her best performance was on the grip. I don't know if anyone considers that, but seemed like a good result for a 5'-5", 105 lb. kid.

We're wondering if any coaches will contact her (or if the ones she wrote to will show any interest) since she is a 2016. I hope that the SAT scores help. On another thread, I wrote about my 2016 who wouldn't study for the SAT, but still wanted to take it. Hoping that her score north of 2100 will confirm that she is a decent student who could manage an academically challenging college.

My eldest went as a junior/rising senior a few years ago. I am pretty sure that the coaches who contacted her (though she had not contacted them) did so because of her SAT & ACT scores.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My DD did not attend, but one of our catchers did. She was disappointed that it was moved indoors. She and her dad were also not happy that the timed stations (particularly POP time in her case) was being hand timed by one individual and they felt there was a lot of "human error" in the times. In the future I would HIGHLY recommend that Pennsbury have at least two people timing events. This will allow for some "checks and balances" - we do this at our tryouts, so I know that Pennsbury can do it!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA