Who should get the ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2010
I'll tell you what others said after I get a few responses, but wondering who should field the ball in this situation -

Fly ball to shallow left, about 30 feet onto the grass. SS goes out to get the ball, says, "I've got it." LF then calls, "Mine, mine, mine" and is running in. SS gets to the spot first, LF gets there in time too, both hear the footsteps and the ball drops. Whose ball is it?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
If an outfielder calls the ball, then it's her ball. That doesn't necessarily mean it was her fault that the ball landed. If the shortstop had time to yield the right of way but kept going after it and made the LF fear a collision, then that would be on the SS, imo. But to answer your question simply, it's always the outfielder's ball if she can calls it and can reliably catch it.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Outfielder's ball. As others have said, they have the first right if they call it. It's easier for them to catch the ball running in on it than it is for an infielder running back on it and possibly having to make an over the shoulder catch.

May 23, 2010
Thanks for the replies. Parent opinion ran 2:1 for the outfielder, but coach told LF that since SS was there first, SS gets the ball. Concerned because outfielder is one of the weaker players and not confident.

Dec 3, 2008
Middle infielder has high catch and outfielder has low catch. Once outfielder calls off the middle infielder, then it's her ball.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Basically the player moving in on the fly ball has control to call off other positions. Outfielders have the control to call off infielders, the SS has domain over all infielders, all infielders have the "ability" to call off the pitcher.

That basic premise being said, I've played for BB teams where a "vacuum" CF or SS has the ability to call ANYONE off.

These are basic situations, the most important is done on a team by team basis and individual abilities.
6750b16cad7c695575f72e6ff6252777_zpsda541456.jpg
[/IMG]

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Basically the player moving in on the fly ball has control to call off other positions. Outfielders have the control to call off infielders, the SS has domain over all infielders, all infielders have the "ability" to call off the pitcher.

That basic premise being said, I've played for BB teams where a "vacuum" CF or SS has the ability to call ANYONE off.

These are basic situations, the most important is done on a team by team basis and individual abilities.
6750b16cad7c695575f72e6ff6252777_zpsda541456.jpg
[/IMG]

Edit: unless the infield fly rule is in effect of course. :)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
In the case that you describe, then everyone on the infield needs to be yelling the SS's name. With no help, the OF is in charge.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd