Pitcher fielding the ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 23, 2016
DD was pitching and there was an easy pop up about halfway between the back of the circle and the 2B line. When she saw that it was behind her, DD didn't go for the ball. 2B didn't react at all, SS tried to run over to catch it but just missed. Ball dropped for a single.

2B picked up the ball, handed it to DD in the circle, and told her, "You have to get out of the circle, that's your ball."

DD has always been taught that she needs to go for everything in front of her (until she gets called off) but that once the ball is behind her, it's not hers. She's specifically been told by previous coaches not to go back on a pop up when she's in the circle. But then, some of her old coaches were not really great so maybe they wrong.

So how should this play have been made?

Aug 21, 2020
I can only speak for how my DD’s team is coached, but it’s very clear that the pitcher isn’t fielding pop ups backing up out of the circle. Also anything moving on the ground to the right and behind the circle belongs to 3B and SS.

Probably the only other thing that comes to mind is that the pitcher should be yelling “UP UP UP” and pointing at the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 11, 2013
Go for the ball until you are called off. I'm not saying you should run into the OF to catch it, but if you can catch it. I don't understand the mentality of only having 8 fielders when they give you 9. It's a little different in baseball with a mound but still the same thing there.

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
Go for the ball until you are called off. I'm not saying you should run into the OF to catch it, but if you can catch it. I don't understand the mentality of only having 8 fielders when they give you 9. It's a little different in baseball with a mound but still the same thing there.
While I do agree with that thought, from the way I was always taught (and still coach this way) , its because its much easier for a player to make a catch running forward than going over their shoulder. Just like how the SS or 2B can call off other infielders, and CF/other OF's can call off the infielders going back for a ball.

@Lightning
If the ball was between the back of the circle and 2B line, it seems like 2B or SS has a much easier play on it since they are running forward vs the pitcher coming from the front of the circle to catch that. Was there runners on with two outs that for some reason caused the 2B not to come in for the ball?

Aug 23, 2016
If the ball was between the back of the circle and 2B line, it seems like 2B or SS has a much easier play on it since they are running forward vs the pitcher coming from the front of the circle to catch that. Was there runners on with two outs that for some reason caused the 2B not to come in for the ball?
No one on base, 2B was playing maybe a step behind the base line. She just didn't react when the ball was hit.

I know that during the inning before, 2B was visibly upset because she had multiple opportunities but could not field a ball cleanly. So I don't know, maybe she was just checked out a little and not mentally ready for the ball to come back to her.

Jun 11, 2013
While I do agree with that thought, from the way I was always taught (and still coach this way) , its because its much easier for a player to make a catch running forward than going over their shoulder. Just like how the SS or 2B can call off other infielders, and CF/other OF's can call off the infielders going back for a ball.

@Lightning
of course they have an easier play coming in but we still try and go out for them in the Middle infield until we are called off. We don't tell the SS to just ignore anything over her head. I'm not saying it's the Pitchers fault but we still should go for the ball until someone calls them off.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
The 2B is wrong. That's not the pitcher's ball.

My instinct is to say the pitcher should still go for the ball until she's called off, but I really, really do not want a collision involving her, so maybe it's not a great idea.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478