Who is in charge on a bunt? 3rd or Catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 14, 2012
Working with my 1st year 10u team on bunt coverage and have read different articles about who should be in charge of a calling the player getting the bunt. I have a very good and agressive 3B and want her getting anything she can but seems like catcher has the best view?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
At 10u, I (coach) was. Who gets it? It all depends on where the base runners are. We send 1st, 3rd, and sometimes 1st and 3rd. I have been seeing teams lately sending 2nd and ss, with cf covering 2nd. Get as much info on bunt d as you can, decide what you think is best, and teach it. Getting the bunt is the easy part to teach, covering the bases is what will take a lot of reps.

A bunt toward 3rd base side, catcher gets it if it is within about 5 feet of home, otherwise it is 3rd since her momentum is already heading toward 1st and catcher would have to spin and throw.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Who is in charge of calling who plays the ball, and who actually fields the ball are 2 different things. I think you tell them you want someone calling out the play and see which one does it, leave it to the girl who actually makes the call consistently and properly. I have seen either the catcher or the 3rd base play this role.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Catcher is the only one with the entire field in front of them and should direct traffic and call where the play is to be made.

Aug 14, 2012
I can see both sides but if you want 3rd getting anything they can, seems like they should be calling whose ball, except with runner on 3rd?

Apr 1, 2010
I would think the assumption is that 3rd is going to try to get every bunt, unless the catcher or 1st (or pitcher on a truly bad bunt back toward the circle) call her off.

Nov 8, 2010
3B all the way!

I would think the assumption is that 3rd is going to try to get every bunt, unless the catcher or 1st (or pitcher on a truly bad bunt back toward the circle) call her off.

This is just my experience only, but at 10u, you have to have your fearless animal playing at 3B for many reasons...one of which is to charge full speed any bunt or slow roller she can get to. Yes, the catcher (if she is very quick and athletic) can field bunts that land close to the plate or within a few feet up the 1b line. In that case your catcher calls it and makes the play. Otherwise it is 3B about 90% of the time.

AND, the other big thing with 10u (as they are learning bunt D) ALWAYS get the out at 1B. Once they learn to do this consistently and make it look easy, then you can move on to the situational stuff. I have seen many a 10u team give away runs and free bases by trying too much too soon on bunt defense. One step at a time and they will get it and look darn good doing it!

Nov 29, 2009
The catcher is in charge of the call on a bunt. They have the entire field in front of them. If they call for the ball the other fielders better be backing off. If they call a player's name that player better be after the ball like they it stole something from them.

As for my 3B, I want them to try and get everything they can within reason. At 10U you will not get as many outs as with some of the other things coaches do. But what you will end up with are players who've learned the correct way to cover a bunt and make the correct play without thinking when they get older. That is the ultimate goal at 10U, teach the basics. Too many coaches get caught up with the W/L record.

Apr 9, 2012
Depends on the defense your in.......everyone above is right.

Playing wheel to 3rd, wheel to 1st, corners in, corners out, bunt prevent etc etc.

Dec 17, 2012
I've been taught that 3rd is meant to own the bunt plays, it's 3rd's unless 3rd can't get to it within reason. The catcher calls where the play is to be but 3rd should be in charge of fielding the bunt

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd