which would they choose?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 15, 2009
I was talking with a teammate. Her sister is going to college and was talking to softball coaches at different colleges. And in a previous post a member on this forum told me that it would probably be in my best interest to pick a position and work with it. But my friend's sister knows how to play various positions. One of the coaches she talked to said they needed a catcher but a back up for other positions. So I'm a little confused. Are colleges looking for a player who knows how to play one position and be amazing at it? or a player that is really good at one position, but can also play other positions?

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Yes, and no in my experience and opinion. Of coarse I'm going to give a baseball view, so I may be way off on softball.

My brother and I in D1, he was a pitcher only ( much better than I ). I pitched and played a little first base.

His son D2, pitches, plays mostly SS, but has also caught.

But I'm like you, would love to hear from experienced softball college players or parents to see how this works.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
College coaches think in terms of catchers, pitchers, and position players. The most valuable players are pitchers, followed by catchers, followed by hitting position players, followed by defensive position players. Position players consist of middle infielders, corners and outfielders

Generally, a team only needs three pitchers, which the team already carries. So, the value of a position player isn't increased because she pitches. Unlike baseball, a softball team doesn't need five or six pitchers.

Catchers are a little different. A team usually only carries two catchers. So being able to catch EFFECTIVELY would be an asset. You have to have the body type to catch. If you are a corner and caught, then that would increase your value. If you are a 100 lb, lightning fast CF, it is doubtful that being able to catch is going to make you more valuable.

It would help if as a middle infielder you could also play the outfield. Similarly, as an outfielder, it would help if you could the infield. Again--you have to be able to do it effectively.

And, of course, the other issue is how good of a batter you are. Good batters find a place in the lineup.

GOINGDEEP:

The management of pitchers is different in softball and baseball.

In baseball, coaches have the good sense to only pitch their star pitchers once a weekend. The result is that a college baseball team needs many, many pitchers. So, if you play SS and pitch, that is a plus for you in college baseball.

In college softball, pitchers can pitch 3 or 4 games a weekend. (I think it is insane, but the NCAA isn't listening to me.) It doesn't help a position player to be able to pitch.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
And, of course, the other issue is how good of a batter you are. Good batters find a place in the lineup.

Funny thing. When we were hit by injuries this summer, I recruited a rec player who can flat-out hit but is a huge defensive
liability. Her enthusiasm got her a spot on my team, she worked with me privately on defense and finished the summer with
3rd highest BA on team and starting RF. always a pleasant surprise to find a hitter

Dec 3, 2008
Too general of a question. Sometimes, in a certain recruiting class, a college (not ALL colleges) will need a majority of versatile, utility players. Sometimes, in a given year, a college will need more position-specific players. Although, as alluded to above, perhaps the most important position is where one will lie in the batting order. More often, a strong hitter who is a defensive liability is more coveted than a strong fielder with a hole in her swing.

Are colleges looking for a player who knows how to play one position and be amazing at it? or a player that is really good at one position, but can also play other positions?

Jun 16, 2010
Colleges are looking for the best players that they can get. You dont need years of experience playing a position, its not that hard at all, its just a game. Pitchers and catchers are exceptions. But many catchers do catch for the first time in college too

The girls that play catcher usually started at 10 or 12, and often because no one else wanted to. They catch not because they are the best at catching on the team, they are often the only ones that ever tried.

We had a girl on our HS team fill in at catching while the catcher was out of town. She normally was the SS. She never had put the gear on before, but did MUCH better than the normal catcher at preventing pass balls, and had a real rocket of an arm to 2B. Opposing team saw her throw down before game , like a rifle shot, no arc on the ball at all, dead on, and never tried to steal.

You see in college a lot of players that played SS , because they were often the best on their teams, and had strong arm, speed, quickness, and a great glove, and bat , and just great athletic ability. Most will play other positions in college when surrounded by players of equal or better ability.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Having just watched my dd play in 3 exposure tournaments this past month, I have a new view on position play. My dd plays OF and 1st for the team she is currently on. Because we had two young ladies quit, my dd has been asked to play 1st in these expsoure tournaments and only saw 2 innings in the OF. IMO, and after communicating with several college coaches afterwards, playing 1st Base is the kiss of death. Some comments have been consistent including one email this morning and they are that they have players who can play 1st. It seems that catchers who don't pan out, play 1st. OF who don't plan out play 1st base. All of these college coaches, many whom I really respect, all said that they needed to see DD in OF. Thank goodness her bat was hot and so, there is still interest and another exposure coming where some will be in attendance in the fall. IMO, play multiple positions. Colleges like Pitchers, Catchers and SS. They might go after centerfielders with speed. If those kids don't pan out, they put them at the corners of the OF or 1st. If you play another position, you'd better be carrying a big stick in order to get interest. Some college coaches throw around "utility" a lot if a kid can hit. Again, all of this is our experience and may not be typical for others.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Having just watched my dd play in 3 exposure tournaments this past month, I have a new view on position play. My dd plays OF and 1st for the team she is currently on. Because we had two young ladies quit, my dd has been asked to play 1st in these expsoure tournaments and only saw 2 innings in the OF. IMO, and after communicating with several college coaches afterwards, playing 1st Base is the kiss of death. Some comments have been consistent including one email this morning and they are that they have players who can play 1st. It seems that catchers who don't pan out, play 1st. OF who don't plan out play 1st base. All of these college coaches, many whom I really respect, all said that they needed to see DD in OF. Thank goodness her bat was hot and so, there is still interest and another exposure coming where some will be in attendance in the fall. IMO, play multiple positions. Colleges like Pitchers, Catchers and SS. They might go after centerfielders with speed. If those kids don't pan out, they put them at the corners of the OF or 1st. If you play another position, you'd better be carrying a big stick in order to get interest. Some college coaches throw around "utility" a lot if a kid can hit. Again, all of this is our experience and may not be typical for others.

Very true observation. Over the years I cant tell you how many 'first base players' we have had on a team, but always only have one 'first base'. :)

Their was a thread on here months ago asking how important a good stick is. IT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT. If you pound the ball your gonna get noticed. That's why you have a DH or DP.

May 7, 2008
On most college teams you will find that every player at one point played either catcher, pitcher, ss or CF. they were the best athletes on their respective prior teams and played the money positions. The exception is the "beast in the box" often playing 1B because they are not fast, but whose 'checked swing" puts the ball to the fence!

Dec 28, 2008
Over and over you will read that the absolute #1 thing that coaches recruit is girls that are "Athletic." Which means that they can learn quickly, apply quickly and react quickly. The January picture of this year's NFCA calendar shows a ball player coming home and jumping to avoid the tag. Catcher is fully outstretched and you can see the player, with legs spread in mid air, with her eyes glued on the catchers glove/ball. You can tell that she is sucking in her gut to avoid the tag by 1/2 an inch. That is the classic definition of an "athlete." If you read recruiting magazines, articles you'll see that many coaches have 5-6 things they look for before ever getting to softball skill. If you check out my website Cross Training | Softball | Short Game | Base Running I have a 1 1/2 hour college recruiting webinar that you can download and watch along with a lot of other information to help you. Just go to the link for Resources/College Prep.

In a recent session with a D1 Head Coach he actually admitted that he has many "averagely skilled players" on his team. One year he recruited 5 players, all shortstops. The athletes. The assumption is that an "athlete" can learn the physical skills necessary to adjust to other positions.

So as you look to the future and think about your recruitment do the things that help you become more of an athlete. Some of that is simply genetic. However I think that speed and agility helps a lot in that regard. Every drill is designed to force you into situations you haven't faced before and help you learn to speed up the "brain to muscle" reactions. Don't do the drills that are easy, do the drills that you struggle with because your brain tells you to do the task at hand, but your feet, core, arms aren't used to reacting fast enough. I also encourage players to focus on doing drills to improve their "non dominant" leg.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06