Which Evoshield?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 17, 2013
Texas
I am about to buy an Evoshield shirt for my daughter to wear while pitching. I noticed they make a sleeveless one that has just a check protector and then they make a version that has both front and back protection. Has anyone seen the real need to have to back protection?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I hadn't noticed the one, with just front protection. I haven't had a need to even form the back protection. BUT - it would keep a ball player from getting hurt from a throw to the back.

Jan 17, 2013
Texas
I could also see where it might help while batting and a pitch comes in where the batter has to turn away from the ball and take the hit off the back.

Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
Its just a matter of them getting used to it. My 10U daughter has wore one since she went to girl pitch from coach pitch. We originally got it for her because she is a pitcher, but it gives her great confidence at the plate as well. She has been hit a few times in the back pads from pitches at the plate. She has never been hit in the front. So..there you go.

Jun 7, 2013
Colorado
My DD's team last season wore the Racerback chest and back guard as required equipment. A few of them did take pitches off of the back guards, for what it's worth. From a wearability standpoint, they are so light that I don't think any of the girls really noticed the extra pads and they really liked "armoring up" before the game. From a price perspective, after the amount of money we spend on other uniform items/equipment, the extra $30 for back protection wasn't really noticeable.

On an unrelated note, my daughter wears hers for soccer as well. She's a goalkeeper, and the back pads help her out when she is taking cleats in the back when she goes to the ground to make a save :) Teenage girls are the most vicious creatures on earth...

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
I have only seen the following.
Sleeveless for Girls with 2 Back protection shield and one front protection shield
Sleeved for Boys with 1 front shield

I like the back shields. Being split into to two smaller pieces it allows for flex with movement. It is great for when they need to turn their shoulder towards the pitcher when reacting to a bad pitch coming at them. Sleeveless also allows for it to remain relatively hidden under the uniform.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach