Where is pitching speed calculated?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2013
I don't think speed is everything, but how do you calculate a pitcher's speed when the ball is accelerating all the way from release to glove?

Jan 6, 2013
Did you pass high school physics? LOL
I'm asking a physics question because I am not a scientist. Does a ball change speeds, especially on movement pitches at a constant rate or does spin based upon laces hitting the resistant air change speeds at an irregular rate? I'm obviously not an Einstein. I'm trying to get an answer, not an insult.

Nov 17, 2010
Did you pass high school physics? LOL
I'm asking a physics question because I am not a scientist. Does a ball change speeds, especially on movement pitches at a constant rate or does spin based upon laces hitting the resistant air change speeds at an irregular rate? I'm obviously not an Einstein. I'm trying to get an answer, not an insult.

The balls speed is affected by friction, wind, and gravity once it leaves the pitchers hand. Its speed in the direction of the plate is decreased due to friction. Because the ball is not a perfect sphere due to the laces, the friction and the decrease in speed varies slightly on the path to the plate.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
What happens to a ball on its way to the plate is acceleration with a negative value in feet per second squared.

Newtons First law of motion: If there is no net force on an object, then its velocity is constant. The object is either at rest (if its velocity is equal to zero), or it moves with constant speed in a single direction.

In physics, acceleration is the rate at which the velocity of a body changes with time. In general, velocity and acceleration are vector quantities, with magnitude and direction, though in many cases only magnitude is considered (sometimes with negative values for deceleration, treating it as a one dimensional vector).

Jan 6, 2013
Newtons First law of motion: If there is no net force on an object, then its velocity is constant. The object is either at rest (if its velocity is equal to zero), or it moves with constant speed in a single direction.

In physics, acceleration is the rate at which the velocity of a body changes with time. In general, velocity and acceleration are vector quantities, with magnitude and direction, though in many cases only magnitude is considered (sometimes with negative values for deceleration, treating it as a one dimensional vector).
If a rocket is launched utilizing thrust, isn't a pitcher's leg drive and arm whip a thrust? It seems to me, between leg drive, arm whip and proper utilization of spin, a ball can accelerate at some point between release and my glove when I am sitting on the bucket...otherwise, a rocket would never make it off the ground, let alone to space. I guess it's just an optical illusion.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I thought I answered your question politely and accurately, people are just having fun.

Go to the OF fence and try to throw the ball to home plate. You are going to need to put a big arc on it and it still might not make it. Your body was the only thing providing the ball momentum. Once it leaves your hand it is fighting everything, air, gravity, who know what else.

Same with pitching, once the ball leaves your hand it is going to be fighting the same things just for a shorter distance.

And back to the OP, the gun is going to clock the P faster than the batter actually sees it but it all works out. It is the fastest the pitch is, not what it is when it gets to the batter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad