When you have a super star...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 27, 2015
My daughter turned 10 at the end of July. She has played softball since 2012 and has always been the catcher. We have had multiple offers for her choice of teams. That is a blessing and a curse.

She trains hard, her own doing. She has two three hour practices a week with her team, plus she practices once a week with her sister's team. She also takes catching lessons once a week with a local girl and lessons twice a month with the local college coach. When she has no lessons or practices, I find her in the garage hitting her hurricane or throwing into the net.

I am so proud of her dedication, she wants to play in college. But I worry that at 10, she is pushing herself too hard. She said today at her lesson that she has to work twice as hard as the other girls on her team because she is the youngest and the smallest. If she slacks off, she may lose her catchers position.

She is an amazing catcher, already knowing more than most girls do at 14. But should I be worried?

Apr 8, 2014
I don't think you should. It is who she is. You are not pushing her. Since it's all her- I don't think you should worry. Shower her with extra love and understanding and relaxation and support. Let her do what she loves. And who she is. And who she wants to be. I know it can be a curse to be the way she is. But it also can be really really great. Not sure you can do anything about it either way. Just love her the way she is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Let her set the pace for her own work, but talk to her frequently about how she feels. Be sure that she knows it's her journey and you are there to support her in any way you can. Then...

...give her a big hug, tell her you love her, and you are proud of her - not just for softball.

Catcher-beats are a special breed. Enjoy the ride! :)

Jun 12, 2015
My husband has expressed these concerns about our daughter who's also 10U. (She's 9, and a pitcher, but I think pitchers and catchers have something special in common when it comes to working hard). I told him what dfp01 said - she wants to do it. When she's begging me to go catch so she can pitch I should say, "No hon, you'll burn out?" Nah. I think we should follow their lead :)

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Perfect Practice makes Permanent .... as long as she is doing it right, let her do as much as she wants. For the catcher, even though she has ALL the coaches, I would get the NECC DVD, and be sure they are ALL in sync with it. JMHO :cool:

Feb 7, 2013
Don't be worried but also don't be surprised if she is less committed when she becomes a teenager and has many other interests. Be supportive and enjoy the ride ride as long as she wants to play this sport.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Agree with all that's been said. I might keep watch to make sure it's not becoming obsessive. I don't sense that she is, but there are some kids, for example, who study 5 hours/day and are devastated if they don't make a 100 on every test. Just monitor to make sure it remains a healthy passion, IMO. There should be joy in what she's doing. Sounds like it is.

Jun 12, 2015
Agree with all that's been said. I might keep watch to make sure it's not becoming obsessive. I don't sense that she is, but there are some kids, for example, who study 5 hours/day and are devastated if they don't make a 100 on every test. Just monitor to make sure it remains a healthy passion, IMO. There should be joy in what she's doing. Sounds like it is.
Though I'm not sure there's much to be done either way. I tend to get obsessive about my interests. Nobody can do anything about it. My mom certainly tried sometimes when I was younger.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
As she gets a little older she will know when it is time for a break as well. My DD pushed herself constantly taking hitting and catching lessons on top of practice and tourneys. School sports started this year so she had workouts for volleyball and basketball all summer. Once volleyball season ended this fall and basketball started she was tired. She wanted a break so we shut down lessons and she has just played one sport at a time. It made a huge difference for her. Luckily MS basketball ended the weekend we started Christmas break and they started softball conditioning over Christmas holidays at the high school.

I think the little break helped her because she is pumped about working out a couple of time a week until Alabama lets them start throwing as a team on 1/05. She is trying to play varsity as a 7th grader so being refreshed going into workouts has helped her performance as well.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Sounds like college ball may be in her future. Assuming she has some hitting ability it may be time she developed competencies at other positions. She does not want to become a one-trick pony. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321