When was the first time you ever saw fastpitch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2020
I had no idea guys even played softball until about 4 years ago. I mean I knew there was the beer leagues for the dudes who couldn't play Sunday League or Wood Bat League baseball but I didn't know guys played fastpitch.
The HS I went to played softball but I played baseball and at the time, there were no softball fields on campus so I have no idea where they girls played at. Then I went to a.college that still to this day has no softball team but the most baseball titles in D1.
My softball player now is my niece, who I have raised since she was 4. She played baseball because I had her brothers in baseball. Then she did cheer while her brothers played football. My parents lived close enough by that they could take her to softball when she turned 7 and took her to pitching lessons. I never saw a game of hers until she was 10 and my son had gone away to college. It took me less than 2 months of watching that ASA league to realize it wasn't for me and before the season had ended she was playing on a local travel team, then at PGF a few months after that.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
but I didn't know guys played fastpitch.
Funny, me neither! It seems to me men's FP was a Northern and West Coast sport, slow pitch softball ruled here in NC!

My Dad was in the Army, he served in Korean during the conflict in 1954/55, he was a good ball player.....to hear him say it! ;) He played school baseball and played in a men's church league later on. He said in Korea he was reassigned to a new company and the first week he was there he was approached by this little Asian guy from California who asked my Dad if he wanted to play some softball?

Dad said he was handed a bat and went straight to the box, he said this little guy threw a ball by him so fast he didn't see it, laughing he asked the catcher behind him "what the hell was that??" He said the best he could ever do against that little pitcher was foul balls off! :LOL: I miss those stories, they got a little better each time he told them! He loved watching Anna play!

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
Back in the 70's when I was a kid, my dad took me and my brothers to see The King and his Court. All you oldtimers know about these guys. It was a 4 man softball team, and they would take on local 9 player softball team, and they would usually win. I didn't realize at the time it was fastpitch.

My dad used to talk about Eddie Feigner all the time. He was from Bayonne, NJ, or at least played there a lot - it was the same town my parents grew up in.

Last edited:
May 3, 2019
My dad used to talk about Eddie Feigner all the time. He was from Bayonne, NJ, or at least played there a lot - it was the same town my parents grew up in.

He seemed to be the real deal. My father and brother who played against him, along with the other guys on the team they put together, were all very good ball players. They struggled to get any hits off him. A common thing he would do ...and he did it to one of the guys on my father's team ...was pitch blind-folded from 2B. He struck the guy out! Crazy!

Nov 8, 2020
Funny, me neither! It seems to me men's FP was a Northern and West Coast sport, slow pitch softball ruled here in NC!

My Dad was in the Army, he served in Korean during the conflict in 1954/55, he was a good ball player.....to hear him say it! ;) He played school baseball and played in a men's church league later on. He said in Korea he was reassigned to a new company and the first week he was there he was approached by this little Asian guy from California who asked my Dad if he wanted to play some softball?

Dad said he was handed a bat and went straight to the box, he said this little guy threw a ball by him so fast he didn't see it, laughing he asked the catcher behind him "what the hell was that??" He said the best he could ever do against that little pitcher was foul balls off! I miss those stories, they got a little better each time he told them! He loved watching Anna play!
I grew up on the west coast, we played baseball, football, surfed, rode dirtbikes.... I never even saw girls play softball while I was growing up. Girls were cheer leaders, beach bunnies or played volleyball

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Jun 15, 2020
My 1st game was 1974 in Stratford, Ct. The women's world championships at Raybestos Memorial Field saw the Brakettes representing the USA play in front of 15,000 fans. Joan Joyce was pitching. My very 1st game and I got to see the best ever pitch. I was 10 years old and I fell in love with the game. What a great memory.

Jun 8, 2016
Probably mid-80’s when I would get dragged to my younger (by 13 months) sister’s games. I never wanted to go and would have rather been at the park playing something (football , basketball, baseball heck tiddlywinks would have been preferred) but there were times where I got the “you need to be a good brother” chat from my parents and was forced to go and promptly pouted the whole time I was there because, well, considering I am apparently a narcissistic sociopath it wasn’t possible for me to be a good brother..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA