When was the first time you ever saw fastpitch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
For me it was while visiting my grandmother in Peterson, MN (pop 188) in the late '70s or early '80s. Behind the high school one night they had a bunch of men's games featuring teams sponsored by such and such lumber company and so and so's agricultural supply etc. I remember it seeming really odd and the players very serious. My dad was impressed by the velocity of the pitchers.

I never saw it again until my daughter started playing Little League around 2011 here in Seattle. Maybe my best friend's sister played fastpitch in LL. I went to one of her games and her father being angry and saying this wasn't a girls game is the only thing I remember about that experience.

For your viewing pleasure, Peterson, MN.

Peterson.png

Jul 4, 2013
Late '70s in Casey, Illinois. The Casey Truckers played in Fairview Park. My family was at the park doing other stuff most weekends, but it was fun watching those guys too. And the velocity was pretty impressive to us as well.

May 27, 2013
I remember being about 9-10 and there was a young guy throwing windmill against the wall of the school near my house. I remember watching him in awe of how hard he was throwing. Never really saw a true fastpitch game until I played in high school. I might have seen a game or two on TV before that but you really didn’t see softball on TV that much back then.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Probably when I was in high school (or later) and passed by it on ESPN. Then nothing in person until DD started in Rec. Which, even then, was barely softball.

It wasn’t until she started competitive softball that I started paying attention to what “real softball” was.

Aug 25, 2019
Back in the 70's when I was a kid, my dad took me and my brothers to see The King and his Court. All you oldtimers know about these guys. It was a 4 man softball team, and they would take on local 9 player softball team, and they would usually win. I didn't realize at the time it was fastpitch.

Sep 19, 2018
I was in middle school and for some reason, I was at a high school softball game. All these years later I only remember 2 things from my 13year old head.
How does such a small girl throw so hard? and man is she beautiful.

Once in high school, the baseball and softball teams were often in the gym together until it got warm enough to be outside. I remember one girl just crushing it. Hitting rockets all over the gym.

For whatever reason, one of the years my team and one of the softball teams schedules seemed to be synchronized, so we traveled together on the bus to away games often. I always enjoyed those trips.

Oct 4, 2018
For me it was while visiting my grandmother in Peterson, MN (pop 188) in the late '70s or early '80s. Behind the high school one night they had a bunch of men's games featuring teams sponsored by such and such lumber company and so and so's agricultural supply etc. I remember it seeming really odd and the players very serious. My dad was impressed by the velocity of the pitchers.

I never saw it again until my daughter started playing Little League around 2011 here in Seattle. Maybe my best friend's sister played fastpitch in LL. I went to one of her games and her father being angry and saying this wasn't a girls game is the only thing I remember about that experience.

For your viewing pleasure, Peterson, MN.

View attachment 21175

Ahhh... Burdey's Cafe...

No, I've never been there. I'll bet I'd like it though.

First saw Fastpitch when my sister tried it in 1978 or so. They called it Bobby Sox.

Oct 4, 2018
Back in the 70's when I was a kid, my dad took me and my brothers to see The King and his Court. All you oldtimers know about these guys. It was a 4 man softball team, and they would take on local 9 player softball team, and they would usually win. I didn't realize at the time it was fastpitch.

He looks hittable.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee