When to start the load.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
When to begin the load process my answer it depends, a good rule of thumb is to begin the load somewhere when the ball is in the 12 O’clock position and try and be at toe touch around the release point.

We start by stepping into the box in a relaxed position bat on the shoulders, deep breaths. As the pitcher takes her position the bat comes straight up and we begins to move (Dance with the pitcher) one last deep breath to relax. We try to begin the load somewhere when the ball gets to the 12 O’clock position and be at toe touch around when the pitcher gets to her release point. All this depends on age, speed of the pitcher and athletic ability of the hitter.

We begin to determine the correct load timing before we step into the batter’s box as from the dugout we study the delivery of the pitcher as each one is different. Once we are in the on deck circle as the pitcher throws to the batter we do a swing which should be close to the batters, to check our timing for that pitcher JMO. :cool:

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
That is a great thread! I have read it twice but still have trouble understanding the points trying to be made.

I hit this last night, at post #1866 no less. He sure took his time....

"JJA, for the record, I consider tip'n'rip to be style. I define the running start as a hitter being (sic) able to create bat speed prior to swing commitment without adding length to the swing (and actually making the swing shorter.)" - Tewks

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
When to begin the load process my answer it depends, a good rule of thumb is to begin the load somewhere when the ball is in the 12 O’clock position and try and be at toe touch around the release point.

We start by stepping into the box in a relaxed position bat on the shoulders, deep breaths. As the pitcher takes her position the bat comes straight up and we begins to move (Dance with the pitcher) one last deep breath to relax. We try to begin the load somewhere when the ball gets to the 12 O’clock position and be at toe touch around when the pitcher gets to her release point. All this depends on age, speed of the pitcher and athletic ability of the hitter.

We begin to determine the correct load timing before we step into the batter’s box as from the dugout we study the delivery of the pitcher as each one is different. Once we are in the on deck circle as the pitcher throws to the batter we do a swing which should be close to the batters, to check our timing for that pitcher JMO. :cool:

Peppers ... in order for this to be helpful we would need to understand your definition of 'load' and what is being 'loaded'.

It would also help to understand if your stated goal of being at 'toe touch' around the release point ends forward movement ... because for many hitters that is more the beginning of their forward movement, not the ending of their forward movement.

Aug 28, 2012
Just about everybody’s sequence begins with the weighting of the rear leg ... or at least it should IMO.

To say that the sequence begins when the front foot is off of the ground is to say the sequence was already in progress when the sequence began. Read that again … it doesn’t add up.

What you are describing is a 'subset' of a hitter’s sequence. You are describing a portion of a sequence that is already in progress.

FFS, you have missed the whole point of the pattern vs sequence thread at BBD. That's fine, it doesn't have to fit into everyone's model... you know you are not talking about "sequence" at all like it is described there or how I have been attempting to describe it here right? If that's intentional then no worries, you do what you gotta do... But just in case it is unintentional, you may want to revisit the concept of pattern vs sequence.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
FFS, you have missed the whole point of the pattern vs sequence thread at BBD. That's fine, it doesn't have to fit into everyone's model... you know you are not talking about "sequence" at all like it is described there or how I have been attempting to describe it here right? If that's intentional then no worries, you do what you gotta do... But just in case it is unintentional, you may want to revisit the concept of pattern vs sequence.

Link? Sometimes, others want to read along.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

Noon ... the 'early and slow' applies to portion of the swing prior to a pitcher's release. I'm fine with a concept of a sequence being defined/described mid-way through a larger overall sequence ... but you can't ignore the earlier portions of the overall sequence when working with hitters ... IMO anyway.

Aug 28, 2012
Noon ... the 'early and slow' applies to portion of the swing prior to a pitcher's release. I'm fine with a concept of a sequence being defined/described mid-way through a larger overall sequence ... but you can't ignore the earlier portions of the overall sequence when working with hitters ... IMO anyway.

<Wordplay ahead disclaimer>

That's cool. I just have to remember that when talkin sequence with you that you are using a different terminology and meaning than when we talk sequence at BBD in terms of swingbuilder's usage of sequence. Your sequence includes the patten portion of "pattern and sequence". There is a reason it's called (pattern and sequence) and not ("ignore this part" and sequence). :)

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Great Stuff!

Really liked the gifs especially.

Especially the Bautista gif on the intentional walk.

Curious, did any one else comment on the take gif? Lazy, should just go back and look myself. Seems like a bad example to me, or alternatively a good example of how striding out to toe touch causes a stop.

It's like Bautista is telling himself to still setup even though he knows it's an intentional walk, but he just does a token motion, not the real motions you would probably see on a real take, which take him further into his sequence (if it is still safe to use the word sequence).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad