When to pump them up and when to relax

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 5, 2012
I'm looking for some feedback from your experience coaching. My AC and I are at different ends when it comes to excitement levels. He does a great job getting the girls pumped up before the game, but I think during the game he might carry on too much. I'm more calm but can bring a certain level of enthusiasm when needed (one player asked my dd do I EVER get mad lol).
Let's say your at a critical point in the game, like we had the other day when late in the game our opponent had the tying run on 2 with 1 out. We already used our mound conference, so from the dug out my AC was excitedly, in a near panic telling them what to look for, where the play is, etc.... I turned to him and told him he had to calm down because he was going to make them too tense. (they scored two that inning and won).
Another thing he believes in is bringing in the girls to a huddle between every half inning and getting them hyped up. What do you think is more effective during critical moments and overall in general? Any stories?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I would be willing to bet that your AC was better at football than baseball in his hey days.

Good answer. Football is played with emotion. Softball and baseball less so. For softball, I think being energetic and alert is sufficient. That should be the natural state of players in the clutch if they are playing for the right reasons and don't put too much pressure on themselves. But it's important for coaches to be alert and energetic so that kids can feed off it, IMO. I'm not a fan of artificially revving up softball players. And by energetic, I don't mean yelling and waving arms and cheering. I just mean that you're into it and ready to strike.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I think it depends on the age. 8-12 my energy might be more instructional in nature, less dramatic. 14 up the instruction has been imbedded ( for the most part ) and I'll use more of a physiological competitive approach.

I love me some mound trips. Bringing the infielders in, I always open with a joke or sly remark. The laughter releases endorphins to reduce stress hormones and actually lower blood pressure. ( to relax and focus ) Immediately, while they are "high", I consult on what we need to do to win. Quick simple and to the point.

Apr 1, 2010
I think it depends on the age. 8-12 my energy might be more instructional in nature, less dramatic. 14 up the instruction has been imbedded ( for the most part ) and I'll use more of a physiological competitive approach.

I love me some mound trips. Bringing the infielders in, I always open with a joke or sly remark. The laughter releases endorphins to reduce stress hormones and actually lower blood pressure. ( to relax and focus ) Immediately, while they are "high", I consult on what we need to do to win. Quick simple and to the point.

A lady who had caught in college told DD that she always tried to learn some dumb jokes so that she could go out to the circle and snap the pitcher out of a bad mindset if necessary. DD took that to heart and has started to develop a repertoire. The latest: "What's brown and stick-y?" ---a stick!

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Trips to the mound:

Got a new pitch I want you to try, it's called a STRIKE!!

You're really throwing some great stuff today, the batters love it.

You're pitching so bad they're gonna have to drag the warning track.

I would warm your grandmother up to come in, but this isn't a 65u league, your pitching just looks like it.

I know we got an hour left to play, but you don't have to spend it all on defense.

You're really wearing down the other team, all that base running is taking its toll on them.

May 13, 2012
My Baseball days catching I two pitchers that I would approach completely different. P1 struggling focused on himself, walk to mound describing hot girl in bleachers, talk about teacher we hated etc. anything but pitching and it worked. P2 would get lazy or complaciant, walk out cussing him, pitching like a sissy etc. walking back to plate regreting it because he pitched well and hard when mad.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
My trips to mound:
Is there a booger hanging out of my nose?
Do I have bad breath?
Do you like the color of their jerseys?
Listen, relax you are doing fine. Let's take a breath and go back at it. I believe in you.
Fist bump and off I go...
I like to keep it light. If you get a smile then I know I've gotten them to relax a little.

If we huddle between innings (and it is maybe once a game when there is a momentum shift in our direction) it is my deal. RARELY MORE THAN 10 Seconds.

I will give the AC some liberty between games to compensate for this a bit as they need to be allowed to speak a bit too
as they do see a lot you may miss while focused on other things and can add value.

Sep 27, 2012
We already used our mound conference, so from the dug out my AC was excitedly, in a near panic telling them what to look for, where the play is, etc.

I didn't think you were limited to just 1 trip to the mound in softball before you need to change pitchers, I thought it was four trips during the whole game. I need to check my rule book.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1