When should catchers start calling pitches?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
We started talking about it in 10u and let them go full time in 12u.

Coaches that call pitches have control issues (not saying they are bad people).

Calling pitches is not a skill. Research has shown even at the MLB level calling pitches is random chance.

If it were a skill some players/coaches would be better at it than others (or random chance). That fact is (no matter what they want to believe or tell you) they are not.

Hope that helps.

I'd really be interested in the research you reference. I don't see anyway that this could be evaluated other than simply looking at hitting results v. certain pitches in certain counts and would have to involve numerous asssumptions about pitch location, quality of pitch, speed of pitch, prior pitches, prior at bats, prior sequences, etc etc etc etc etc

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
A byproduct of pitches being called from the bench is that it serves to take the catcher out of the game IMO. When they set up behind the plate, and instead of reading the situation, reading the batter, and giving any necessary field direction or encouragement, they have to sit there waiting on the coach to give them the pitch and then immediately relay it to the pitcher. Congratulations, you've just turned a potential on field coach into a distracted errand boy/girl.

PS - When the catcher calls, the signs can only be seen and picked if there's a runner on 2b. Called from the bench, signs can be seen and picked much more easily and quickly by any number of coaches, players, fans etc so at least be smart enough to use a complex system or coded wristband if you are going to do it that way

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
When they know how to call a game. In saying that, it is a learned process and so, catchers have to talk to pitchers and their coaches as to why certain pitches are called at certain times? What is the reasoning between having pitcher A work up and down and pitcher B working side to side? When is it alright to throw a pick to 1st? IMO, catcher can make their own path on this by being proactive and letting the coach know that they do know what to call as well as letting the coach know that they are not afraid to step up to the responsibility.

Edited to add:

Went and read some of the responses. There are as many if not more D-I coaches calling pitches than not calling them. The reason is very simple. Their jobs are on the line. If you don't believe that, get out and go watch games. It is rare that I see a college catcher call games and I see a lot of college softball each year at the D-I and D-II levels.

And most coaches publically claim they do it because the stakes are too high for them to rely on catcher who has no prior pitch calling experience. Which begs the question, why didn't they recruit an experienced catcher? Are they being truthful or making excuses?

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Start teaching them at 10U. Teach them how to read the batter stance, location in the box and their swing. Teach them what to call when there are runners on, X amount of outs...all of it.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I've been to PGF nationals gold level for the past 2 years and I don't think I've seen a catcher call a game at that level and I've watched a lot of games in those 2 years....

I have 2 thoughts about this:
1. This might explain why college coaches complain about not getting experienced catchers.
2. Was every game a 0-0 no hitter? Were there no HRs or well hit balls? If no coaches were perfect, were some more/less effective than others? How many 0-2 change ups were thrown? LOL - maybe that's more than 2 thoughts

Dec 19, 2012
College coaches do notice.

During the recruitment process college coaches loved the fact that my dd calls her own games in both TB and HS ball. When we played in Atlanta Legacy last summer the tournament had canopies for the college coaches to sit under. On more than one occasion I heard college coaches talk about how "that young lady calls her own game" and "hey, she throws her own signs" and "the coach lets her call the game....nice". There are many coaches looking for catchers that call the game. Does that mean she will call them in college......no. However, it does mean that the college coaches that call their own game would at least want meaningful input from the catcher.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I have been to several college games now and still see coaches calling pitches. I also see MLB coaches calling pitches from the dugout.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
A byproduct of pitches being called from the bench is that it serves to take the catcher out of the game IMO. When they set up behind the plate, and instead of reading the situation, reading the batter, and giving any necessary field direction or encouragement, they have to sit there waiting on the coach to give them the pitch and then immediately relay it to the pitcher. Congratulations, you've just turned a potential on field coach into a distracted errand boy/girl.

PS - When the catcher calls, the signs can only be seen and picked if there's a runner on 2b. Called from the bench, signs can be seen and picked much more easily and quickly by any number of coaches, players, fans etc so at least be smart enough to use a complex system or coded wristband if you are going to do it that way

My experience with players that I have coached and who went on to college is that what college coaches say in recruitment and what they do in reality are not always the same thing. So, the best advice I can give is go watch those teams play that are telling you that they do this or that. See what they really do. Also, I'd be hard pressed to believe that a Gold level or A level catcher does not know how to call a game. By that point, how many games do you think that they have caught in their lives? So, I'm not buying it. Again, don't take my word for it. Go watch a game or two where you want your dd to go to school.

Finally, catcher 1 has the coaching calling pitches while catcher 2 is calling the game. College coaches might be impressed with catcher 2. Catcher 1 walks up and hits a 260 foot bomb. They no longer care much about player 2. JMHO!

Edited to add:

I currently have 3 catchers playing in college and so, that is the experience I speak of. I know that isn't a great number but all 3 were taught to call their own games and did call their own games during TB. Not a one calls their own game in college.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Finally, catcher 1 has the coaching calling pitches while catcher 2 is calling the game. College coaches might be impressed with catcher 2. Catcher 1 walks up and hits a 260 foot bomb. They no longer care much about player 2. JMHO!

This^^^^^^

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie