When should a team fold?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
At what point should a team consider calling it quits and folding? DD played this weekend, and the team had to have 4 guest players to field a team. Last 4 tournaments have had anywhere between 2-4 guests each weekend. Schedule is sent out well in advance. My DD has to change her schedule to honor her commitment sometimes. At some point, the girls who are making all the games are being treated unfairly. Constantly playing different positions than they typically play. Pitchers throwing to a different catcher each week. My DD loves the girls and the coaches on the team. It must be frustrating for the coaches. As a parent, I am frustrated. Perhaps, the best thing for the girls who are committed, is to find new teams that match their levels of dedication.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
At what point should a team consider calling it quits and folding? DD played this weekend, and the team had to have 4 guest players to field a team. Last 4 tournaments have had anywhere between 2-4 guests each weekend. Schedule is sent out well in advance. My DD has to change her schedule to honor her commitment sometimes. At some point, the girls who are making all the games are being treated unfairly. Constantly playing different positions than they typically play. Pitchers throwing to a different catcher each week. My DD loves the girls and the coaches on the team. It must be frustrating for the coaches. As a parent, I am frustrated. Perhaps, the best thing for the girls who are committed, is to find new teams that match their levels of dedication.

This is a question purely dependent on the perspective of the families involved. Some feel it is okay to continually miss practices and tournaments for other activities. And depending on the age I understand this perspective. However there are those like myself who feel that if you are going to spend this much money on TB then it becomes the priority over many things (I mean sports and other activities not personal life situations).

At the end of the day I do not think this is as much a question of when to fold a team but rather when you depart it as a family based on your priorities. I say this but always with the following in mind....Your DD should have the most say in any team change you make as ultimately this is for her enjoyment not ours.:)

Feb 3, 2011
Did she decide to stay on the 14u team? Or is this the 16u team you're talking about?

Pitchers throwing to a different catcher each week.

I need to update my previous statement. Not only do you need to have a minimum of 2 pitchers to have a team, but you also need to have a catcher. Without those 3, there really is no team.

Dec 12, 2009
CT
My DD loves the girls and the coaches on the team. It must be frustrating for the coaches. As a parent, I am frustrated. Perhaps, the best thing for the girls who are committed, is to find new teams that match their levels of dedication.

Not sure if you are talking about the current season, or for next year. But in either case, why penalize the girls that show the commitment by splitting them up? If there is a strong core group of coaches & players, work on a way to keep them together.

For this season, I would start by sitting down with the inconsistent kids (and their parents), and explain to them that they are really letting down the other players on the team as well as the coaches. The necessary commitment should have been clear to them when they signed on to TB. If they don't agree, then I would tell them that we will look to add several new permanent players, and should we find some, the current kids will be used as "guest" players if they are needed.

For next season, if the coaches are commited, and there is enough available talent in the area, I would say to hold tryouts and find 3-4 new players that are willing to make the commitment. Don't know if it was already done, but I think a good policy for ALL players is to have BOTH player and coach expectations clearly laid out in writing. Then have every player, existing and new, read and sign the agreement (along with her parents), so that everyone is clear on expections.

Dec 12, 2009
CT
Did she decide to stay on the 14u team? Or is this the 16u team you're talking about?

I need to update my previous statement. Not only do you need to have a minimum of 2 pitchers to have a team, but you also need to have a catcher. Without those 3, there really is no team.

I think you also need to have 2 catchers. To ask one kid to catch 3 games on a Saturday, and up to 3-4 games in a row on a Sunday in 90+ degree weather is crazy.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida

This is on the 14U team. The 16U team she was offered a spot on is basically dark during HS season. I am worried we made a bad choice. We will honor our commitment to her current team. It just seems we are the only one's doing so.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
If you have a good core group of girls and families who enjoy playing with each other, I would suggest you post ads looking for players looking for teams and have an open tryout or two to find 3-4 more players to your roster.

Feb 1, 2012
NJ
Hold a tryout. There is a good chance that another team out there is having the same problem that you guys are. 3 or 4 players are half a team. To be good you need a whole team that is striving for the same goal. You can't do it with half a team. Look for Pitchers and catchers. You never know what you might get. One parent on another team out there might want more innings for his DD and is not getting it on the current team, so they are looking. Also by holding a tryout you might get some of the current parents on your team to refocus and commit to what is going on with the team. I know of one team that needed 4 players, they had 92 kids show up. Not all of them could play but with those odds they found 4 solid players.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Our family takes softball a lot less seriously than most people on this board, softball is low on the priority list. With that said DD has not participated in a few events because her Team needed her. She knows she made a commitment to the Team and knows what it entails. It means missing some other things she would like to be involved in so be it. If she can bail on practice or games great, if not she will be there.

Having ½ the Team being guest players sounds like a mess to me, of course players feel like they being treated unfairly. Like you said I think the coach and parents of players that show up do too.

You need to be able to field a Team the vast majority of the time without guest players.

Apr 1, 2010
Are the team's players not coming because they are focusing on HS ball? If that is the case, it is a different story.

I agree, that would be different, but IMO if it isn't due to that, the team should hold tryouts and replace the worst offenders.