When instructing to throw the Barrel is follow through a no Teach?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2012
Geez, isn't that what I have been saying for the last year or so? This Yeager guys sounds like a smart dude...

Yeager is right. Too many too busy wanting to discredit a great message. Let's put markers on every bone and muscle fiber and I bet you we can prove him wrong. Silly and not clinically relevant. Can't help a soul with most of this language. Yeager teaches gross movements that are clinically relevant to helping a player improve hitting mechanics. His models are the greatest hitters of all time. His descriptions of the kinetic chain are spot on. His video productions both free and offered for sale validate his teachings. You really have to not want to see his message to not appreciate its value.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Question for you swing doctors. When I attempt to throw the barrel I seem to lose the feeling of hitting through the ball or extension. Is extension a no teach or I am I missing something. Also can someone explain turning the barrel to me. When I read the threads with accompanying video I dont see it.

Thanks

Part Time Catcher

My dd works on throwing the barrel. This is what she looked like in this particular swing. Her top hand IS beginning to roll over her bottom.
V1Golf.jpg

Sep 18, 2012
My dd works on throwing the barrel. This is what she looked like in this particular swing. Her top hand IS beginning to roll over her bottom.
View attachment 3006
I just see a picture, not a video. It doesn't tell me a whole lot. It looks like she is finishing a bit, but if she is just beginning to finish at that point in her swing, it is probably too late. The sooner the finish, the higher the level the player as evident by great hitters when they miss the ball. It should happen very soon after contact.
The point of finish/whip/rollover or whatever you want to call it is to deliver enrgy to the hands and bat. It is the end of the kinetic chain. When a player applies whip mechanics correctly, believe me, they feel the difference in the power immediately. Remember also, following correct kinetic chain mechanics also allows the hitter to maximize efficiency and plate mgt. Plate mgt, for example, because the hands come last giving the hitter more time to decide whether or not to swing at a pitch. A slow mo vid would be more helpful analyzing your DD's swing - however, I do not hold myself out to be a expert in hitting video analysis.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I just see a picture, not a video. It doesn't tell me a whole lot. It looks like she is finishing a bit, but if she is just beginning to finish at that point in her swing, it is probably too late. The sooner the finish, the higher the level the player as evident by great hitters when they miss the ball. It should happen very soon after contact.
The point of finish/whip/rollover or whatever you want to call it is to deliver enrgy to the hands and bat. It is the end of the kinetic chain. When a player applies whip mechanics correctly, believe me, they feel the difference in the power immediately. Remember also, following correct kinetic chain mechanics also allows the hitter to maximize efficiency and plate mgt. Plate mgt, for example, because the hands come last giving the hitter more time to decide whether or not to swing at a pitch. A slow mo vid would be more helpful analyzing your DD's swing - however, I do not hold myself out to be a expert in hitting video analysis.

I was posting to op's post. Just saw this thread come back up to the top and remembered seeing this pic. I am not looking for an an analysis. I teach them to throw the barrel and am happy with it. Her "whip" doesn't wait until just before contact. And the hands stalling out until the kinetic chain of energy reaches them is not what I believe happens in a high level swing, but that debate was several months ago and not interested in getting into it again (just a note for others h science).
That said...you can tell the doc I have enjoyed some of his new youtube posts (if he cares). Just watched the one showing AGon "steep" "short to the ball" bat path a few days ago.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremy523