When does the roller coaster turn into a merry-go-round.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2012
Doug hits it on the head. For us the roller coaster stopped when expectation on my end stopped. Wish I could go back in time and let her be a little more free with her journey. It truly has been a journey for both of us. Maybe it doesnt change much in the end but we would have had many better days following tough pitching sessions or outings.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
We got destroyed in school ball. #1 pitch was replaced by DD who had the pleasure of being pounced, batting practice speed comes to mind but there is is no way they hit that good in practice.

HC: are u ok
Dd: yes

I asked her after game what she was thinking, you know me my entire life did you even think I would say No.

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
Expectations - that is totally my problem. she's shown some real improvement in such a short time and I EXPECTED it to remain.
I didn't expect that she would regress. On the positive side - I don't expect her to be like anyone else.

All of the comments are so valuable. It's the side people don't talk about enough. The "reality" behind the pitch.

bmd

Jan 9, 2015
Bucketmom- I feel your pain. We have certainly had our share of ups and downs! My dd did very well two weekends ago not so great this past weekend. One of the parents was completing dd on her pitching....her dad turns and looks at him very seriously and said....she can be like a box of chocolates....you never know what you are going to get. After that evening I asked my husband when and what point did he think that she will be more predictable....he said that he had wondered that for a year. I love to compare old clips to new ones. I love to have fun after a great game. I love to give hugs after a bad game. I guess us pitcher moms and dads have to learn to enjoy the ups and downs. My dd just turned 14...plenty more of ups and downs ahead :)

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Some say they have no idea what I'm talking about as their DD's have been on a steady climb.

There are those whose daughters have always been on a steady climb. And then there are those who tell the truth. :eek:

When you're in the midst of it, it all seems so serious. Life-and-death even. She goes out to the circle and you live and die on every pitch. But you know what? They survive. Both of my daughters are long past their playing days, and neither one appears to be scarred for life by a bad game at 12, or 15, or whatever age.

Look at it this way. If you're making steady progress you're probably not pushing yourself outside your comfort zone. You may have a fine career, but you'll never be all you can be. Failure is a part of getting out there on the edge where the demon lives. But she'll be the better for it.

And as Doug, Sluggers and others have said, do your best to enjoy the ride. Because once it's over you can never get another ticket.

1bucketmom.....my DD is now 34....still ups and downs. I'm thinking that by age 50 it will become steady....:cool:
Probably the best take away is that when she hits the down roller coaster she finds a way to climb back up. From my observation last year your DD is way more up then down.

Nov 3, 2012
My DD has been up and down. That's what I would tell these parents with young daughters pitching. Its not going to be a straight line up. KenB is so right about that. We had some lows, but we stuck with it.

My 16 year old DD just verbaled to a D1 school last week, but 3 years ago we almost gave it up. Ill tell you how bad it was. She would tighten up so bad when she went into games, it was scary and I never been so frustrated with her. She was doing so well in practice, and warmed up well. She was great without pitching to a batter. But when she stepped on the mound, it was just chaos. I still remember the game when she her throw 11 pitches. She threw 1 strike, but the catcher could not catch any of the other balls. I'm talking 6 feet over the catchers head, a couple made it 20 feet. Embarrassing. Her travel coach on low level team eventually wouldn't let her pitch and we only had 2 pitchers. I saw her warm up with pin point precision. But the game got her. We worked through it. I had her pitch in a rec ball league, so she could get innings. Her travel team wasn't let her pitch much. Her first rec ball game, she walked 12 girls. Probably struck out 10, but it was depressing. But by the end of the season, she was killing everybody in Rec. She just found her confidence. Yes, she was the girl that you say, she shouldn't be pitching in this league and scoff. If you saw the whole story, there was a reason. She needed the confidence. We had some ups and downs since, but definitely more ups. She's still improving, but were in a good spot right now. But were wary of the next downturn, but were looking at the big picture and know that if you stay with it, things will improve.

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
My DD has been up and down. That's what I would tell these parents with young daughters pitching. Its not going to be a straight line up. KenB is so right about that. We had some lows, but we stuck with it.

My 16 year old DD just verbaled to a D1 school last week, but 3 years ago we almost gave it up. Ill tell you how bad it was. She would tighten up so bad when she went into games, it was scary and I never been so frustrated with her. She was doing so well in practice, and warmed up well. She was great without pitching to a batter. But when she stepped on the mound, it was just chaos. I still remember the game when she her throw 11 pitches. She threw 1 strike, but the catcher could not catch any of the other balls. I'm talking 6 feet over the catchers head, a couple made it 20 feet. Embarrassing. Her travel coach on low level team eventually wouldn't let her pitch and we only had 2 pitchers. I saw her warm up with pin point precision. But the game got her. We worked through it. I had her pitch in a rec ball league, so she could get innings. Her travel team wasn't let her pitch much. Her first rec ball game, she walked 12 girls. Probably struck out 10, but it was depressing. But by the end of the season, she was killing everybody in Rec. She just found her confidence. Yes, she was the girl that you say, she shouldn't be pitching in this league and scoff. If you saw the whole story, there was a reason. She needed the confidence. We had some ups and downs since, but definitely more ups. She's still improving, but were in a good spot right now. But were wary of the next downturn, but were looking at the big picture and know that if you stay with it, things will improve.

Congrats to your DD. That's a fantastic achievement.

Big picture..... sometimes I lose sight of it when all I want to do is help her maintain her improvements but they just disappear. Your DD's story is a remarkable testament to work ethic and perseverance.

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
Update....... and sharing because sometimes this stuff helps others too.

I've been working on adjusting my expectations and realized that I had recently set them higher because of a marked improvement with DDs mechanics.
It was what I am now calling a "future peak" moment - where everything comes together and you can see how really good everything will be; it's just not going to stay right now.

My issue was not understanding that if you can do it, why can't you keep doing it?!?! Duh!!! (Insert Homer Simpson's) - cuz your 12 and your body is changing almost daily and your body awareness is fleeting.

It was beautiful - more speed and better accuracy with more control of her movement. And - it wasn't just at practice. She pitched a friendly - playing up at 14u - this way and received a compliment from the ump.

So when she played a couple of weeks later and she was back to the previous version - I was stunned and dumbfounded.

BUT - thanks to all the comments and feedback, crazy bucketmom is back to normal. I'm the one who has had a breakthrough.
We are now back to having fun again...... I've got my arms up In the air and riding the rollercoaster.

Sep 10, 2013
DD's ups and downs started in TB when despite being the better pitcher, she would most of the times be delegated to clean up bases loaded situations and being called by a coach as "will only be a good little outfielder".
fast forward a few years and transitioning from HE to IR. you could imagine the difficulty pitching on the mound with one style still dominating (HE) despite trying to do IR. ugh! its not over yet although it has gotten MUCH better.
Now at HS. her team is either blessed or cursed to have over half the team (9!) who have pitched in one shape or form. so getting mound time is almost next to impossible.
despite all that, DW and I still believe in DD although there are days that our faith can be severely tested.

DD and I have an agreement. do your darnedest best AND have fun, but if nothing happens after her HS, at least she tried (and had FUN). if not she will never know.
enjoy the ride.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA