When did your DD first take the SAT?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 21, 2012
My older DD is a Sophmore in HS. I have the opportunity to sign her up for a SAT prep class.
The class starts in February runs through April, and incluces registration for the test in May.

Is it too early for a Sophmore?

The softball concerns are that the class is every Saturday at 10am. Historically the Varsity practices on Saturday mornings from 8am-10am. DD made varsity last year as a freshman. However, this season they have a new coach. I have no idea what this coach would think about missing part of Saturday practices for SAT prep class, but the class would start at 10am each week, and its probably 20 min drive from her school, so if she did the class she would have to leave practice early.

I have not met the new coach yet, but they have off season hitting tomorrow for the first time. I doubt that I would want one of the first conversations to be about missing practice time, but the class may also fill fast and its a deal. Last year DD missed zero time (attended every practice, game, etc).

So SAT prep as a sophmore or wait until junior year?

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
wow, thought I wrote the OP.

DD is a sophomore and she took the test unprepped in Oct and she got the scores on 11/25. We paid the extra 15 for the analysis so she could focus on the areas she needed help with prep this summer. Lots of people told me it was to early to take the test but I feel like it was a good decision. She did not send the scores to any schools but could have with little to no detriment.

Sep 18, 2011
DD took the ACT for the first time in 7th grade and the SAT for the first time in 8th grade. We bought her a couple of books from Barnes and Noble to help her study, but otherwise no real prep work and she still did very well. In fact her scores may have been the subject of a brag thread once upon a time. :) Anyway, obviously I don't think it's too early. Good luck!!

Jan 24, 2009
This is a brainer.

Take advantage of the prep class.

It isn't too early, and it is pretty much never convenient.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2014
My oldest daughter (College Freshman) took her first SAT test in the Spring of her Sophomore year - she does not play a sport

Oct 10, 2011
Sat

DD is taking it this Saturday and is a Junior. She's been taking a prep class off and on since July. She plans on taking it again in June no matter what her score.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
In Michigan all students are required to take the ACT in their Junior year, you can opt to do it sooner if you want. My dd took it with her class. Then she retook the test a couple of months later after more studying. Exact same score.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
I vote to have DD take the test, but skip the prep classes. Have her set aside an hour each week to study on her own, then jump in and take the test. It will provide a good baseline score that she can build on if she needs to.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
In Michigan all students are required to take the ACT in their Junior year, you can opt to do it sooner if you want. My dd took it with her class. Then she retook the test a couple of months later after more studying. Exact same score.

Does not make much sense if college is not in your future.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Does not make much sense if college is not in your future.

But if Michigan is paying for it doesn't really hurt either.

DS (Freshman in college now) took SAT as Junior in March and again in June. Got similar scores both time. He took Math II & Physics physics subject tests as Junior as well.

DD1 is a Junior she'll be taking SAT in March and again in June probably. She too Chem subject test as Soph and will be taking Math II this Saturday and Physics in the spring.

DD2 is in 5th grade so not quite there yet.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah