When Chanting becomes Unsportmanlike

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2010
Back to the OP, we played a team this year that would raise their voice just as our pitcher was going into the wind up. It got to the point that they were screaming. After an inning, I approached the umpire and asked him to listen to them as our pitcher threw. Of course he didn't do anything, but he did go out and ask our pitcher if it was bothering her. It was annoying, but it didn't really bother our pitcher either.

Yesterday DDs team was playing the in championship game, DD was pitching, and the other team was starting their cheers and singing during her windup. Sometimes they weren't even cheers, they were just odd whoohooooo type noises. If that wasn't enough, their third base coach would start clapping loudly during DDs delivery. Unlike many of the other posts, this did get to DD and effect her, she told me after the game it would distract her concentration. I wished I could say we won the game, but we lost a close one 3-2. I know DD has to learn to focus and block it out, but I still feel that was a cheap tactic used to influence the game.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
the other team was starting their cheers and singing during her windup. Sometimes they weren't even cheers, they were just odd whoohooooo type noises. If that wasn't enough, their third base coach would start clapping loudly during DDs delivery

I don't have any rule books handy but I recall that in the LL rules somewhere it forbids players/ coaches/fans from saying or doing anything in an attempt to cause an illegal pitch. I would think that those screams as the pitcher pitches could be considered to be in that category. at least worth ringing to the Ump's attention.

Huskerdu

With Purpose and Urgency
Sep 4, 2011
I told my team that any chanting is going to be about our team and our team ONLY. It was cute, this past Saturday, they started chanting about checking out the new pitcher, and I stopped them, their firstbaseman said, "its ok, we don't mind..."

When they get into the thick of the competitive environment, they'll see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1