wheel play mechanics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2013
concerning 2 man mechanics,does ASA cover the mechanics on what some other organizations call the "wheel play" with a lone runner on third and a walk to the batter? also what would the same situation mechanics be in 3 man?

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
concerning 2 man mechanics,does ASA cover the mechanics on what some other organizations call the "wheel play" with a lone runner on third and a walk to the batter? also what would the same situation mechanics be in 3 man?

Don't really know what you are seeking here. In a 2-umpire game, with a runner on 3rd, BU is in C, so there isn't much for him/her to do other than observe the touch at 1B and be prepared for any possible play. Shouldn't be moving from that general area (maybe a couple steps toward the diamond) unless a play develops.

In a 3-umpire game, nothing different that what U1 would do with a base hit in the infield.

Mar 2, 2013
Base Umpire Responsibilities
• BU is responsible for a pickoff attempt if F2 immediately throws down to 3rd base.
• If F2 does not attempt such a pickoff, BU must move into the staging area.
• BU has all circle rule (look-back rule) violations committed by BR.
• BU has all calls on plays made on BR.

Plate Umpire Responsibilities
• PU must immediately move into the holding zone.
• The closer R3 is to 3rd base, the farther up the holding zone PU must move.
• Watch BR hit 1st base.
• PU has all circle rule (look-back rule) violations committed by R3.
• PU has all calls on plays made on R3.

Apr 12, 2013
Base Umpire Responsibilities
• BU is responsible for a pickoff attempt if F2 immediately throws down to 3rd base.
• If F2 does not attempt such a pickoff, BU must move into the staging area.
• BU has all circle rule (look-back rule) violations committed by BR.
• BU has all calls on plays made on BR.

Plate Umpire Responsibilities
• PU must immediately move into the holding zone.
• The closer R3 is to 3rd base, the farther up the holding zone PU must move.
• Watch BR hit 1st base.
• PU has all circle rule (look-back rule) violations committed by R3.
• PU has all calls on plays made on R3.

this is what im seeking.....i dont see this in the manual. would i find it in the ASA casebook?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
this is what im seeking.....i dont see this in the manual. would i find it in the ASA casebook?

This is not ASA and mechanics are not included in the casebook. In the ASA manual, it would be the same as the BUs responsibilities for a ball to the infield.

Mar 2, 2013
I believe that the only two manuals that specifically cover this play in detail are the PONY Manual and the NYS Manual. I doubt you will find it addressed in detail in the ASA Manual, though the mechanics should really be the same.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I believe that the only two manuals that specifically cover this play in detail are the PONY Manual and the NYS Manual. I doubt you will find it addressed in detail in the ASA Manual, though the mechanics should really be the same.

Some, not all

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
What is different with the way ASA would handle this?

Differences:

If F2 does not attempt such a pickoff, BU must move into the staging area.
Have no idea what this means. Maybe this is just a matter of semantics. ASA does not dictate, nor use the terminology of "staging area". The BU should act in a manner similar to what would be necessary had the ball been batted in the infield. Move to wherever it is to see the BR attain 1B and be prepared for a subsequent play should that runner continue to 2B or for a possible play behind her at 1B

BU has all circle rule (look-back rule) violations committed by BR.
PU has all circle rule (look-back rule) violations committed by R3.
For clarification it is not possible for a BR to be in violation of the LBR, so I will assume that you are referring to the player who was just issued the base on balls through the end of the play. While the runner assignments are clear, both umpires have equal responsibility for an LBR violation. And before it is stated, I'm not suggesting an umpire look to jump a call in another umpire's area, but that should not be cause to ignore a violation if witnessed. The LBR should also be a very deliberate ruling with confidence of a violation being 100%, not handled as a "gotcha" with a quick trigger by any umpire

The closer R3 is to 3rd base, the farther up the holding zone PU must move.
Maybe, not a "must". If a play at 3B seems imminent, the umpire should be in the best possible position to see the play. However, the umpire's judgment should be tempered with sense of the entire play. If there is no defender covering 3B, the umpire need not move with urgency and doesn't need to be moving closer to the base only to have to reverse direction and race for a good position on a play at the plate. Sometimes "deeper" (farther from the baseline) in the holding zone is better than up or down in the holding zone. IOW, the umpire needs to read the play, just not move to a certain position.

Watch BR hit 1st base.
Semantics. While the PU needs to be aware of when the BR reaches 1B to determine the effect of the LBR, it is not necessary to see them hit the base. That is the BU responsibility, even from the left side of the field.

Certainly worth pre-gaming with your partner/crew.

Depending on your partner. I've worked with complete idiots that damn near required an on-going clinic throughout the game even after a pre-game and then I've walked onto fields with complete strangers with no pre-game and didn't really have any conversation until after event-free games.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid