wheel play mechanics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 2, 2013
Watch BR hit 1st base.
Semantics. While the PU needs to be aware of when the BR reaches 1B to determine the effect of the LBR, it is not necessary to see them hit the base. That is the BU responsibility, even from the left side of the field.

I don't understand what you mean. You say that the PU has to be aware...but not necessarily see them hit the base. Obviously the PU needs to know when the BR hits the base because that's when the LBR goes into effect. Is it that you are satisfied with the PU simply seeing the BR in that area? I wasn't implying anything about a missed base appeal.

I guess overall the mechanics are pretty much the same. There is just a bit of different terminology used.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I don't understand what you mean. You say that the PU has to be aware...but not necessarily see them hit the base. Obviously the PU needs to know when the BR hits the base because that's when the LBR goes into effect. Is it that you are satisfied with the PU simply seeing the BR in that area? I wasn't implying anything about a missed base appeal.

No, but people read those type of comments and assume this is the law. Perfect example it he beginning of ASA RS #36 where it states that blocking the base or base path without the ball is impeding the runner. Although we all know that this isn't true, people routinely cite this misstatement as THE rule.

And as the PU is just as far, if not farther from 1B and in no better a position than the BU, I really don't care if the PU sees the runner touch the base or not, just reach it. Once that is determined, PU should be checking to see if the pitcher has possession of the ball in the circle and then the runner on 3B to see what action, if any she is taking. This is one reason I prefer the PU to be deeper in the holding zone and not as close to 3B unless necessary. I would rather the PU be able to see runner & pitcher in the same range of view as opposed to moving his/her eyes/head back and forth.

That is a position in which an umpire placed him/herself in a couple years ago. The WCOS ended with a LBR violation against Japan, but to see the pitcher and runner, she had to turn her head and, IMO, missed the Japanese runner moving, in reverse, back toward 1B.

Mar 2, 2013
And as the PU is just as far, if not farther from 1B and in no better a position than the BU, I really don't care if the PU sees the runner touch the base or not, just reach it.

As you said, sounds like semantics. I usually know that the runner reached the base because I see the runner's foot hit it.