Whats wrong with the swing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
by no means an expert, and I'm not someone who would suggest big changes, but i'm not seeing much coil. i think it's because she starts too late. start earlier in the windup, with a slow move, then fire.
no slack removal, just throws the hand downward at he ball.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Take a look at the practice swing she does in between pitches.
2e3c1e3d16264a4ca09a34361d36716cfdc77e77.gifv

Jan 27, 2020
8898a4795728b05f42318a604763b8792a7383bf.gifv

6d7abe1b03b7446c084746ddeeba4b28edb7bd05.gifv

Holy 'squish the bug'....
Level swing with round bat.....hit top of bat get fly ball, hit middle get line drive, and hit bottom of bat get ground ball.
Again JMHO others will tell you how wrong I am.........
Yea maybe I need to find a new batting coach smh I'm not much on teaching her and when I try it just ends up with us frustrated with each other . But definitely see what you are talking about.

Jan 27, 2020
Any recommendations on the hitting vault online with the swing analysis or would you just recommend a new batting coach??

May 12, 2016
Take a look at the practice swing she does in between pitches. It shows you where the power went. She is all arms. Your dd needs to learn how to use her body better. Is she going to an instructor? Does her coaching staff do well with the swing?
JMHO I don’t think you can judge a swing on a practice swing .. many hitters including the best in the game are all arms while practice swinging. With many hitters it’s just their routine or a way of staying loose

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
This young lady needs to learn sequence. The portion of the J Stone video where he puts the bat at the midline of the body forcing the hands back against the forward move would probably do the trick.

your dd doesn’t have drag. Drag is when the middle rotates and the barrel is left behind. This is not the case.

A lot of ground balls usually indicates being late, pop ups being early and line drives being on time. As long the hitter isn’t swinging up or down excessively.

with the story you’re telling it seems she maybe had some late swings In a game and someone told her to ‘shorten’ her swing. Just a guess...

like RH said work that drill. See if her timing improves. It will take longer so ‘anticipate’ is a word I would throw out there so she can be on time.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
your dd doesn’t have drag. Drag is when the middle rotates and the barrel is left behind. This is not the case.
Really....your willing to let this dad go on a Snipe Hunt......
8898a4795728b05f42318a604763b8792a7383bf.gifv

Unbelievable.......
Bat drag is when the back elbow pulls forward ahead of the hands. Simple as that.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Jul 21, 2011 at 11:32pm FiveFrameSwing said:

What is “bat drag”?

This shouldn’t confuse anyone.

People should simply refuse to allow ‘bat drag’ to be a mystery.

Ask yourself why the checkpoint of having the rear elbow ahead of the hands, at the RVP connection point position, is referred to as ‘bat drag’.

It’s not a trick question. Why is it called ‘bat drag’?

What an interesting name … “bat drag”. Why not call it a different name? …. Maybe call it “Bad Position #1”. Do you suppose that the name “bat drag” was simply made up? …. Or could it be that the name actually was descriptive of the actual issue?

Here’s a hint … the term ‘bat drag’ has to do with both the ‘bat’ and ‘drag’. In fact, it has to do with the ‘action’ of ‘dragging’ the ‘bat barrel’ … and hence the name ‘bat drag’ … which simply stands for a ‘bat barrel being dragged’.

Yes, ‘bat drag’ is the ‘dragging’ of the ‘bat barrel’. The name “bat drag” wasn’t made up out of thin air … the name itself actually spells out the issue.

How clever …. It was actually given a name that was descriptive of the problem. Who would think of doing that? Better yet … who would be confused by that?

The joke of course is to take a name, that is completely descriptive of the problem, and convince people that it is a mystery.

Sorry … if you were looking for a complicated answer … you won’t find it in this post.

You can wait until the “RVP connection point position” to detect severe cases of ‘bat drag’, or you can detect the issue earlier … you simply need to look at the barrel path … and if you know to look at the barrel path, and if you know the relationship between ‘hand pressure’ and the ‘barrel path’, … then you know that ‘hand pressure’ can influence the ‘barrel path’ … which in turn influences whether or not the “bat” barrel is being “dragged” … as in “bat drag”.

Yes … it’s true. There is a relationship between the “hands” and what happens to the “bat barrel”. Why that is a surprise to anyone … I don’t know.

So what is the secret to curing ‘bat drag’?

The secret is in the hands (along with their synchronized use). Believe it or not … but you actually have control over the object in your hands. Yes it’s true. Don’t let people tell you differently.

You have two main physical contacts to your environment during the swing … you have the feet in contact with the ground … and you have the hands in contact with the bat barrel. That’s it … just those two main contacts. You need to learn to make the best use of those two contacts … because it’s all you’ve got ….. and IMO, ignoring one of those contacts, the hands, is not a great solution for someone suffering with a ‘bat drag’ issue … … … and IMO it is why those that ignore the hands, or don’t know how to use the hands, so often struggle to solve ‘bat drag’ issues.

Have you ever heard the phrase … the “secret is in the dirt”? It has to do with the importance of the contact between the “feet” and the “ground”.

When it comes to “bat drag” … the “secret is in the hands”.

The secret has to do with the importance of the contact between the “hands” and the “bat”.

Oh no!!!! … It can’t be that simple. You know people that have struggled with ‘bat drag’ for years … therefore it must be complicated …. After all, some self proclaimed experts tell us that it is a common problem, so common that their kids have it … and it’s so difficult to solve that they don’t bother to rectify the issue … even though they know that it will shorten their kid’s career in the game. And to make things even better … while struggling to solve ‘bat drag’ issues … let’s also create a phobia about using the hands. That way the problem will persist, …. and people will remain in the dark while perpetuating their search for a solution.

If you have an instructor that has struggled to solve ‘bat drag’ with his students, and at the same time has a phobia against the ‘hands’ … then run, don’t walk, but run to the nearest exit.

The secret ….

Shhhh ….. The secret is in the hands …. But let’s keep it a secret … some people haven’t made enough money yet.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207