Whats best for you daughter?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 9, 2013
NE Ohio
Was wondering what the opinions were on selecting a team for you daughter.
1.Great pitching,average player skills,strategy type coach.
2.Above Average pitching,solid player skills,coached on player strengths
Know about everyone would love great pitching,solid player skills but sometimes you don't allways have both.

Mar 28, 2013
Players that have a solid core and work hard.
NO DRAMA!!
A fair Opportunity to earn your preferred spot
Did I mention NO DRAMA?
A coach that also puts forth some effort in producing outstanding young ladies/Role model
And last but not least NO DRAMA!!!

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Don't like stating the obvious, but the "NO DRAMA" thing is my #1 requirement. Beyond that bucket pinata nailed it.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
  • No drama
  • The team your DD will be in the top 9 and PLAY
  • Age appropriate travel and goals (i.e you don't want a team that is going all over the country in 10U - in 16U maybe different)
  • Organized coaches, well run practices
  • Team mates she will get along with

I also like coaches who know their limitations and bring in experts to handle areas they don't understand well - for example I don't know enough about hitting at the level my DD's teams plays at - so we bring in someone who does.

There is a lot of parental justification for 'the best team' etc, but if they don't play then they will eventually stop playing if it is not really a good time (however they personally judge that). One of the local 'best' 14U teams lost 5 girls last year as the girls finally told their parents that they didn't actually like playing softball. Personally I was surprised they didn't lose 8.

I have heard "She loves the game. She loves going to practice. She works on her game all the time. etc, etc" a lot over the years. About 1 in 20 times that is actually true.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
My daughter's wish list, in no order -

1 - Motivated, mature teammates.
2 - Team plays a tough schedule.
3 - Coaches that don't get angry and yell.
4 - Coaches and players make her feel wanted.

Preference, but not absolutely necessary - Teammates are talented and will push her.

Surprisingly unimportant - Great practices. Obviously, you want good practices, but she (and I) prefer a team that doesn't practice that much but can depend on the players to work and get good instruction on their own. My DD and I will take responsibility to for her development of individual skills (hitting, throwing, fielding). I look for TB coaches to teach her how to use those skills in the game as part of a team.

As parents, I really like organization and communication. DD is fairly oblivious to this.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
My daughter's wish list, in no order -

1 - Motivated, mature teammates.
2 - Team plays a tough schedule.
3 - Coaches that don't get angry and yell.
4 - Coaches and players make her feel wanted.

Preference, but not absolutely necessary - Teammates are talented and will push her.

Surprisingly unimportant - Great practices. Obviously, you want good practices, but she (and I) prefer a team that doesn't practice that much but can depend on the players to work and get good instruction on their own. My DD and I will take responsibility to for her development of individual skills (hitting, throwing, fielding). I look for TB coaches to teach her how to use those skills in the game as part of a team.

As parents, I really like organization and communication. DD is fairly oblivious to this.

CB, while I agree with all you have said, this IMO is more true for the older age groups as opposed to the younger ones. The younger ages, 8u, 10u, and 12u need more structured practices focusing on fundamentals and individual skills building. 14u are the two years you transition between the 2 and 16u on up is when you solely focus on the game itself, strategy, etc. It's not that the coaches shouldn't explain all this while they instruct at the younger ages, it takes playing time and game experience to fully understand it which is why they usually don't fully grasp the true nuances until older. Again, JMHO.

Last edited:

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
You cannot practice basic skills enough at 10U-12U. As you get older it does change. I think your answer depends on the age of your player. In younger ages I go with answer #1.
Why?
Because very few teams are comprised of All Elite Talent. Most teams are a balance of different skill abilities. Where one player slumps another is in an upswing. Where one may be weak at a particular skill another may be strong. When you weave these things together it makes up most of youth sports. IMO if you are playing with a dedicated head coach, families dedicated at the same commitment level as you (A, B or C...which is another topic all together), players she can get along with and consistent playing time on the field than you are on track for finding a"good team" for you guys. This assumes 12U, 10U or younger.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24