What would you start with first?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
Great video... My only suggestion would be the 55° angles, I'd prefer to see more like 30 or 35°... This way she gets more offset hip to shoulder separation. But other than that, it's pretty good!!
do you prefer both hips and shoulders be at the same 30 to 35? or different for hips and shoulders?

Mar 20, 2015
Teach her to throw underhanded. That's what I did with my girls early on. They were 10 though
This is very good advise and from my experience its hard for parents starting out with their DD to really understand this. Most girls start off learning to do a full pitch and bad mechanics will then ensue and are further ingrained as there is a rush to have some success in local rec or travel games. If they can first learn to throw underhand in a balanced fashion just like you would with overhand for baseball they will have a strong base to build on. This link has been posted before but may be of some help.
https://www.discussfastpitch.com/threads/learning-to-throw-underhand-versus-learning-to-pitch.22502/

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
When time allows, can you shoot and post a video from the throwing arm side? As others have mentioned, I suspect there isn't much whip in her arm. I'm also seeing an effort to try to power the throw with her shoulders/torso.

May 13, 2013
When time allows, can you shoot and post a video from the throwing arm side? As others have mentioned, I suspect there isn't much whip in her arm. I'm also seeing an effort to try to power the throw with her shoulders/torso.

OK. Will do! We threw yesterday, and we were just throwing underhanded. She was so natural and loose. When she started "pitching," she went to the more stiff and trying to muscle the ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles