22May23 - Start of Iowa HS Softball Season

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2022
First day of games in Iowa last night.

Beautiful night and fun to see young girls at many levels of development get a chance to show what they can do.

But, it is the stupidest time of year to start SB that no other state in the country is stupid enough to wait until almost everything else is done to finally start at a stupid late date when other sports are still going on or just finished last Friday because stupid Athletic Union is stupid enough to not change schedules to a better time of year (fall) because they are stupid.

/end rant

Have a great day!

Jun 20, 2015
how many girls skip playing HS ball in Iowa to play on travel teams??? percentage?? Cause here in Ohio and KY, school ball is just about finished and travel season starts.

Feb 7, 2014
Do you think eventually Iowa will change to a Spring schedule?

I know each state has some different wrinkles... it's interesting that Iowa has an association for boys and then a seperate association for girls.

I also don't understand why all states are not hosting their state tournaments at 'State U.' Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois, and previously Kentucky all finish(ed) their season at community parks.

... just a few observations.

May 27, 2022
how many girls skip playing HS ball in Iowa to play on travel teams??? percentage?? Cause here in Ohio and KY, school ball is just about finished and travel season starts.

Depends on the school. Definitely not unheard of. My daughter played 3 years of travel ball and then HS for only her senior season. Same with their Pitcher. There are a couple schools where a whole team is doing travel instead of HS. Other than that a few here or there.

May 27, 2022
Do you think eventually Iowa will change to a Spring schedule?

I know each state has some different wrinkles... it's interesting that Iowa has an association for boys and then a seperate association for girls.

I also don't understand why all states are not hosting their state tournaments at 'State U.' Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois, and previously Kentucky all finish(ed) their season at community parks.

... just a few observations.

I doubt they ever change. If they did, I would hope it would be for a Fall schedule. Just too much stuff overlaps in the spring: Track, Soccer, Golf and all the end of year activities like band/vocal concerts, grad parties, etc. Most coaches I talk to don't get there entire team together at more than 1 or 2 practices before the season starts and several team will lose girls to State Gold meet or Soccer playoffs. If you put it earlier, you would lose a lot more girls

IMO:
Aug-Oct: Softball/CrossCountry
Oct-Dec: Volleyball (why are we playing an indoor sport when the weather is nice!)
Jan-Mar: BB
Mar-May: Track/Golf/Soccer

It probably cost us more with 2 separate associations but, honestly, the girls rear'n does many things better than the boys.

We could use a college for state tournaments, but they have a really nice setup in Fort Dodge - full stadium type seating and 2 fields to run games on simultaneously. Plus a few other fields to warm up on.

Jun 8, 2016
Unless your state still has HS slow pitch I don't want to hear it.. :LOL:.

Last edited:
May 27, 2022
Soccer is a fall sport in most states, as it is in colleges. Why wouldn't you match the seasons?

That is actually a great idea. I can only imagine that it is because our stupid state associations are stupid and too stupid to think about such things with any iota of intelligence and are just stupid. (see a theme there? ;))

I am guessing that the boy's association wants to protect football.

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
That is actually a great idea. I can only imagine that it is because our stupid state associations are stupid and too stupid to think about such things with any iota of intelligence and are just stupid. (see a theme there? ;))

I am guessing that the boy's rear'n wants to protect football.
In NY, sports go in this order.
Fall: soccer, football, field hockey, girls volleyball and tennis, cross country.
Winter: basketball, indoor track, wrestling, bowling, boys volleyball.
Spring: baseball, softball, lacrosse, golf, track and field, flag football.

Apr 1, 2017
I played golf in high school (fall sport). One issue you have is that by the time the most important tournaments happen (regionals/sectionals/state), it might be 40 degrees. To me, softball is much better as a spring sport. Would rather have the first few weeks of the season be cold/snow/mud than the last few. Either way, Iowa's schedule makes no sense to me. Seniors graduate, and then still have a full sport season to play?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28