What would you have done?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 28, 2008
I would have been a bit more lenient that you were with the other team by allowing a player to pick up for them if it were an NSA tournament where you need 9 to start. ASA and U-trip only require 8 to start. Not sure about Pony, ISF or some of the others.

ASA Rule 4 Sec 1D says you can start and play with 8 and the 9th spot is an out. Supplemental rules 47 & 48 also mention the shorthanded rule are to avoid forfeits if at all possible. They also state that you cannot play shorthanded as a strategic option by the coach.

NSA Rule 4 Sec 4c. says you must start with 9, but can end with 8. They also state that you cannot intentionally or unintentionally walk a batter to record the automatic 3rd out.

USSSA Rule 5 Sec. 2 says you can start and play with 8. The 9th spot is an out.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
The other coach was out of line. BUT, I would have encouraged him to pick up a defensive
player to 'even the scales'. He did not exercise good sportsmanship, but somewhere, I agree w/ Lozza
you violated the spirit of the game. I sincerely hope that this game teaches each a valuable lesson.

Let's not forget that this game is about the girls, as hard as it is sometimes, it is the girls in both dugouts,
I do not agree with the stalling

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Coach from opposing team says they had 9, but one girl had to leave for a birthday

That is his problem, not mine. I don't know what rules set lets you pick up a player from another team. And what girl is going to do that, anyway?

If this was a friendly, sure, give him a girl. But, did this girl just announce "Oh, I have to go, now." I doubt it. He knew coming in that he would have 8 players.

I used to bend over backwards to help other teams and it was like "No, good deed goes unpunished." Just the other night a team tried to run me off the field 15 minutes early, because they thought that I didn't know how long I had the field for.

You have to watch some of these guys 100% of the time.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Coach from opposing team says they had 9, but one girl had to leave for a birthday, can he pick up another player from one of the other teams we already beat.

At this point, I am having fun with this coach.

What do you think of this?

Two points:

1) I don't think you were under any obligation to help him field a team. Most rosters are 12 or 13, he knew well in advance that he would be short players, that's HIS problem if he only has two outfielders, he should have planned better or suffer the consequences;

2) Here's what I don't like. You stated "at this point I am having fun with this coach". I think you reacted poorly and mean-spirited by purposely antagonizing this coach by stalling the game and switching pitchers right before the pitch after you already visited the circle once. This to me crossed the line from smart game strategy to purposely inciting the opposing coach, where the game no longer becomes about the players but the coaches. Whether or not the opposing coach is a total jerk (which he was) this would have been a great time for YOU to uphold the integrity of the game by not adding fuel to the fire but instead to play the game with grace and coach the game at the high standard it deserves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad