What would you do?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2010
9 games later at one inning per game on average. Talked to the coach, was told he has positioned kids to win which I understand however we aren't winning. Out of 12 kids there are only half that attend practices and the ones who do come have siblings that play on 10u that practice with us when they come which means my kid is also the sub during practices to kids that arent on the team. 2 of the infielders aren't ever there except for games and they aren't as good as some of the others in the outfield but they are coaches kids. There other extra player is good too but getting frustrated from the same treatment. My kid is apparently a sub in uniform with a parent paying for other kids to play. I am tired of paying to go to these tournaments to watch other kids play then trying to rationalize why this is happening to a 8 year old. Maybe if her dad was a coach or she started skipping practice for friends partys or vacations she could play more. I don't know I am just frustrated but never show it to my daughter who just thinks softball rules the world.

What exactly does 'winning' mean in 8u?

An 8u softball player needs to actually be playing softball. If there's a 12-player roster, then every kid should be playing about 3 innings per 4-inning game. There will be fluctuations, but it should all balance out to around that much playing time each game. While many of us, myself included, stress the need for kids to play in order to improve their skills, at age 8, they need to be playing just to have fun. Sitting on the bench 75% of the time for an entire season doesn't benefit the 8-year-old softball player, or 8yo athlete in any sport, for that matter. I don't care how 'competitive' a coach thinks his little 8u all-star team is, it's not.

I might feel slightly differently if we were talking about 10u, but even then, the kid needs more playing time. In answer to your specific question, what you need to do is to find a place - preferably in a rec league - where your kid can be part of a team where everyone plays.

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
You need to have her try out for several different teams when tryouts come around again . If and when she is accepted to a team or several teams you need to find out what the coaches intentions are for your child and let the coach know what your expectations are . If it doesn't sound like its going to be a good fit keep looking until you find one that looks and feels right .

My DD just made the jump from Rec ball to a Travel team and I looked for a team and a coach that felt right . Her team is made up almost entirely of girls making the jump to travel ball on a team that is just getting started . All the girls get to play and take turns sitting regardless of what the advantage to keeping them on the field might be . The downside of this is they are only winning about half of their games , the upside is that they are all growing as players .

You need to be your child's "Agent" so to speak and find a program that will work for you and her .

Mar 13, 2010
The downside of this is they are only winning about half of their games , the upside is that they are all growing as players .

While I'm one of these peopl who think that winning is fun, winning every game can also be boring. Especilly if you're on the bench.

My last two years playing personally have been somewhat boring. The lower decision we would beat some teams by 20-30 runs. I went up a grade this year. We lost 2 games all year. We beat most teams by 10-20 runs. Even the second best side.
I am so excited for next season because I know we won't be winning every game. But I guarantee I'll enjoy it more.