What would you do?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2016
No offense, but you need to visit the catching forum here. It will be an eye opener.

I'm open to being convinced on the footing but nothing will convince me that a catcher shouldn't rip the mask off to locate and catch a pop up. I've seen it make a difference too many times. I've also seen catchers sit there with a ball basically dropping right behind or beside them because they had no peripheral vision to locate it with the mask still on. My daughter started playing catcher seriously at almost 12 so I'm aware there may be differences in ideal techniques at younger ages. I'll leave it at that as to not derail this particular thread.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
No offense, but you need to visit the catching forum here. It will be an eye opener.

Agreed. Proper foot down flat base as per NECC and the helmet stays on. Taking the hockey-style helmet off is slow and the only thing it does is increase the chance of the ball hitting you in the head without your perfectly good helmet on it - oh and twisting your ankle when you trip over it (or the umpires). When someone yells 'throw the helmet off' it is a clear sign they are living in the past - the catching equivalent of 'hello elbow' pitching. mwh1979 - don't dismiss it out of hand - read the forum here and watch the NECC videos and evaluate - even if you still decide it is not correct I guarantee you will get something out of them. Our catchers rock because of NECC and other teams wonder how the 2 newer catchers we have improved so much so quickly (hard work, better technique is the answer)

Original Poster - Proudmomof2 - move on. It isn't worth worrying about why at this point unless it is going to effect the other daughter (you mentioned she is on an older team in the org?). Go find a happier place to play and when the new pitcher moves on and their team in struggling or just breaks apart, you can just smile and laugh inside (seriously 'just pitches at 13'? We have one of those locally... she was fast and great at 10 and out of the game by 14 as everyone passed her on by). Way too much drama for 12U

Feb 15, 2016
Agreed. Proper foot down flat base as per NECC and the helmet stays on. Taking the hockey-style helmet off is slow and the only thing it does is increase the chance of the ball hitting you in the head without your perfectly good helmet on it - oh and twisting your ankle when you trip over it (or the umpires). When someone yells 'throw the helmet off' it is a clear sign they are living in the past - the catching equivalent of 'hello elbow' pitching. mwh1979 - don't dismiss it out of hand - read the forum here and watch the NECC videos and evaluate - even if you still decide it is not correct I guarantee you will get something out of them. Our catchers rock because of NECC and other teams wonder how the 2 newer catchers we have improved so much so quickly (hard work, better technique is the answer)

Original Poster - Proudmomof2 - move on. It isn't worth worrying about why at this point unless it is going to effect the other daughter (you mentioned she is on an older team in the org?). Go find a happier place to play and when the new pitcher moves on and their team in struggling or just breaks apart, you can just smile and laugh inside (seriously 'just pitches at 13'? We have one of those locally... she was fast and great at 10 and out of the game by 14 as everyone passed her on by). Way too much drama for 12U

I'll check them out for sure. I'm definitely not making a decision on what's 'correct.' Just my observations. I don't coach but my daughter's always been coached to flip the helmet off and not to sit back on her heels. She's 13 so at this point I think the injury risk from the helmet being off is relatively low. I could understand wanting younger kids to keep it on though.

Sep 27, 2015
We went to my oldests practice last night and my youngest worked out with their team. The team she was on was practicing at the same time. I do not see the team lasting as I watched from the outside last night. The pitcher is sneaky. Convinced one of the girls to give up her number, which has been 1 since she started olaying softball foyr years ago. Mom stepped in, said I don't think so, her daughter ended up keeping her number. She then went on to pitch, telling her catcher to sit down while snapping her fingers and pointing at the floor. 15 minutes later she was still doing it, then added in that she has a pretty tummy and it is flat and skinny, but her catcher was flabby so she was going to make sure her drop ball hit her in the flabby belly.

Neither the coach or her dad told her to knock it off. The catchers parents ended up calling it a night and taking her home before practice was over.

That is definatly not the kind of team I want for my youngest. We are looking for another team and in the mean time, she is catching for her sister and practicing with the 14u.

Jun 12, 2015
Seriously??? She was making fun of the catcher's weight? She sounds like a caricature. Who does that!?

Sep 27, 2015
People who haven't had the best upbringing. Since people feel bad for the life she had when she was younger, she plays on it I think.

I noticed a bit of it last week when they took the girls measurements for team jerseys. She came out and stood in front of her dad, rubbed her hands over her chest and said all her measurements. I thought, well maybe she doesn't realize she is doing it, rubbing herself with her hands. But after last night, I think she does. I feel bad, from what I have been told she had a really rough childhood but...

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I'll check them out for sure. I'm definitely not making a decision on what's 'correct.' Just my observations. I don't coach but my daughter's always been coached to flip the helmet off and not to sit back on her heels. She's 13 so at this point I think the injury risk from the helmet being off is relatively low. I could understand wanting younger kids to keep it on though.

Pop ups, I'm on the fence. But a properly fit hockey style helmet shouldnt be in the way. But plays at the plate I still hear kids get instructed to take it off.
Leave it on, bad bounces, bad slides, collisions...bad outcomes over all that a helmet and mask would help.

Me_and_my_big_mouth

witty softball quote
Sep 11, 2014
Pacific NW
As for the pitcher, she just turned 13. She knows she is good so she shows up for practice, pitches, then leaves. She doesn't bat and she doesn't do any fielding. In the last 4 years, including Fall Ball, she has been on 8 teams. Her dad is a pitching coach so he assistant coaches the team. If he isn't the assistant coach, she doesn't play.

Not to beat a dead horse, but seriously - RUN. This was very likely a bullet dodged. Or, as we say around these parts, a good miss. ;)
At least you weren't all in financially and a tournament or two in. Best of luck to your girl - she's got a long, successful road ahead of her as a catcher with her head on straight, and diva pitchers (and their parents) are always going to be a part of that.

Me_and_my_big_mouth

witty softball quote
Sep 11, 2014
Pacific NW
15 minutes later she was still doing it, then added in that she has a pretty tummy and it is flat and skinny, but her catcher was flabby so she was going to make sure her drop ball hit her in the flabby belly.
You forgot the part where the catcher's mother walked over to the pitcher's dad and slapped him across his face for not doing his job as a parent. I would have come unglued!

People who haven't had the best upbringing. Since people feel bad for the life she had when she was younger, she plays on it I think.

I noticed a bit of it last week when they took the girls measurements for team jerseys. She came out and stood in front of her dad, rubbed her hands over her chest and said all her measurements. I thought, well maybe she doesn't realize she is doing it, rubbing herself with her hands. But after last night, I think she does. I feel bad, from what I have been told she had a really rough childhood but...

I give you permission to stop feeling bad now. Sports are an equalizer - they bring out both the leaders and the losers of character, and when someone's losing character starts interfering with the vibe and the culture of a team, it's time to stop feeling bad and start course-correcting pronto. I don't care if a girl can throw 65 mph and has 17 unique pitches (don't they all now, at 14??? :p) If a girl is pulling that kind of crap with teammates, (or being inappropriate and having other red flags go up) my kid won't be a part of that. One step further? I hope with every fiber of my being that I've raised my kid to be the one to step up and put a princess like that in check at the get-go - because no one is more important than anyone else on the right team.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Wow. Hard to believe this all happened without a parent marching out on a field and dressing down a coach for allowing it. I am not kidding when I say that if i saw a teammate making fun of another teammate's weight I would be in the dads face so quickly his head would spin.

You know some of the members on this board have pretty studly kids, you got parents of Pros that have set all time records, parents of D1 players on top 10 teams, enough travel ball stud parents to lose count and I know for a fact that all of them would rip their kid a new one if they ever did anything like this to a teammate. My point is that NO TALENT level is good enough to justify allowing a kid to act like an ahole.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole