What would you do?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
It would be interesting to hear how your organization is divided up. What team was she on? You said the organization moved her down to rec travel, does that mean she was on rec select? Whats the difference in tournaments and practice schedule. Usually rec is based on where you live. The next thing to ask yourself is make 100% sure your DD is as good as you think and it's not just your opinion. If she is the smallest girl on the team maybe the coach just figures she won't be able to keep up as the season gets harder and my guess is he did not think she was a top 4 hitter, as a coach I would not let one of my top four hitters go unless this new pitchers is going to record better than 15Ks a game. I'm with others it feels like something else is going on. Another question that might not seem related but unfortunately might be how is your other DD doing and whats her relationship with the organization?

The biggest question to answer is does your DD actually like the new team and her teammates? If the answer is yes and she will be a starter and get to play almost every inning I would probably just leave her on that team assuming you also like the coach...she is only 10 so she has two more years to find and play on the best 12U team she can get on; this will just be a transition year for her but not a lost year, it puts her a year ahead of her upcoming teammates. I would let the new coach know that you are committed to the team...then if the old team blows up and needs a catcher at some point you just let them know you are not interested (you know that old coach is not to be trusted). Of course Im not sure what you do next year if this coach is still the coach in charge of the A level team in that organization, probably means looking for another organization next year

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2009
It would be interesting to hear how your organization is divided up. What team was she on? You said the organization moved her down to rec travel, does that mean she was on rec select? Whats the difference in tournaments and practice schedule. Usually rec is based on where you live. The next thing to ask yourself is make 100% sure your DD is as good as you think and it's not just your opinion. If she is the smallest girl on the team maybe the coach just figures she won't be able to keep up as the season gets harder and my guess is he did not think she was a top 4 hitter, as a coach I would not let one of my top four hitters go unless this new pitchers is going to record better than 15Ks a game. I'm with others it feels like something else is going on. Another question that might not seem related but unfortunately might be how is your other DD doing and whats her relationship with the organization?

The biggest question to answer is does your DD actually like the new team and her teammates? If the answer is yes and she will be a starter and get to play almost every inning I would probably just leave her on that team assuming you also like the coach...she is only 10 so she has two more years to find and play on the best 12U team she can get on; this will just be a transition year for her but not a lost year, it puts her a year ahead of her upcoming teammates. I would let the new coach know that you are committed to the team...then if the old team blows up and needs a catcher at some point you just let them know you are not interested (you know that old coach is not to be trusted). Of course Im not sure what you do next year if this coach is still the coach in charge of the A level team in that organization, probably means looking for another organization next year

DJ,

Too many woulda, coulda, shoulda's for 10/12U this year. Mom/Dad needs to get the player outta there ASAP and get her on a team where she'll be wanted and needed as a member of the team. If they are letting a player/parent call the shots on the team it's time to go. What happens when the "Stud" pitcher finds the team not to her liking and leaves for the next big thing? Sounds like a bad situation from all directions.

Run Forrest, run!!!!!

Sep 29, 2014
@Spakry ....I thought she said DD was already on a different team. That's why I ask if that team was a good fit and also to never go back to old team, maybe I misread something?

Sep 27, 2015
She has been practixing woth this team since late October during winter workouts. Until the new pitcher joined about 2 weeks ago, he was calling her his head catcher. None of us has signed letters to play on the team yet, and my daughter had also tried out for a 10u team (and was asked to be their head catcher) about 15 minutes away from this one. I picked the 12u team as her older sister plays 14u for the same club and I figured it would be easier.

I don't doubt her abilities, the kid is good. We have had private instruction for her for hitting and catching for three years now.

Which I am wondering if that may have also been the problem. She has always been taught to not sit flat footed, throwing arm behind her leg, block so you are wrapping around the ball. Her new assistant coach wants her to be flat footed, throwing hand behind the glove, elbows both out, and block square. He also wants her helmet off for pop flies and she has always been taught that her helmet stays on.

When she told him two weeks ago (may have been three, we have been super sick) that she was not comfortable catching that way because it wasn't what she was told, he started to pull away from her a bit. If it was my oldest, I would have said it was from her being snappy and rude. She is 13 and in that stage where she is amazing one second, crying the next, then storming out mad all in the blink of an eye. My youngest is one of the most polite children you will meet and she was honest about her training.

As for the pitcher, she just turned 13. She knows she is good so she shows up for practice, pitches, then leaves. She doesn't bat and she doesn't do any fielding. In the last 4 years, including Fall Ball, she has been on 8 teams. Her dad is a pitching coach so he assistant coaches the team. If he isn't the assistant coach, she doesn't play.

I am not over selling my daughters skills at all. For as small as she is, she doesn't let it stop her. She is consistent with her hitting, hits outfield about 75% of the time. She is not a rec league player. Nothing against rec, it is where she discovered the love for softball, but she doesn't belong there anymore.

I have contacted the other teams that asked for her to see if they still need her so fingers crossed one of them still has an opening.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
A new pitcher just came in, the star of the team. They have been recruiting her for two years now.

When coach was asked why, he said she just wasn't working out with the new direction the team was heading.

If this information is accurate, these two statements are all I need to know. This pitcher (more than likely her family) seem to be controlling things, and I see that as a very bad thing. If this team was based locally (my local), I would be willing to bet that the pitcher in question will be gone to another team by this time next year, and this team itself will either be extinct or will have trouble finding enough players to be competitive. I have seen it happen several times.

Jun 12, 2015
So that coach is willing to throw away his players for a diva pitcher who team hops twice a year? He sounds like a real winner. Sometimes I wonder what these coaches are smoking.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Now my daughter has not only been removed as catcher for that team but has been placed on the rec league travel team instead, as the catcher. When coach was asked why, he said she just wasn't working out with the new direction the team was heading.

Is this a TB team? Have never heard of a TB coach who would move a player back to REC ball. Regardless I would recommend trying to find a new team.

Feb 15, 2016
She has been practixing woth this team since late October during winter workouts. Until the new pitcher joined about 2 weeks ago, he was calling her his head catcher. None of us has signed letters to play on the team yet, and my daughter had also tried out for a 10u team (and was asked to be their head catcher) about 15 minutes away from this one. I picked the 12u team as her older sister plays 14u for the same club and I figured it would be easier.

I don't doubt her abilities, the kid is good. We have had private instruction for her for hitting and catching for three years now.

Which I am wondering if that may have also been the problem. She has always been taught to not sit flat footed, throwing arm behind her leg, block so you are wrapping around the ball. Her new assistant coach wants her to be flat footed, throwing hand behind the glove, elbows both out, and block square. He also wants her helmet off for pop flies and she has always been taught that her helmet stays on.

When she told him two weeks ago (may have been three, we have been super sick) that she was not comfortable catching that way because it wasn't what she was told, he started to pull away from her a bit. If it was my oldest, I would have said it was from her being snappy and rude. She is 13 and in that stage where she is amazing one second, crying the next, then storming out mad all in the blink of an eye. My youngest is one of the most polite children you will meet and she was honest about her training.

As for the pitcher, she just turned 13. She knows she is good so she shows up for practice, pitches, then leaves. She doesn't bat and she doesn't do any fielding. In the last 4 years, including Fall Ball, she has been on 8 teams. Her dad is a pitching coach so he assistant coaches the team. If he isn't the assistant coach, she doesn't play.

I am not over selling my daughters skills at all. For as small as she is, she doesn't let it stop her. She is consistent with her hitting, hits outfield about 75% of the time. She is not a rec league player. Nothing against rec, it is where she discovered the love for softball, but she doesn't belong there anymore.

I have contacted the other teams that asked for her to see if they still need her so fingers crossed one of them still has an opening.

I agree with others who are telling you you should leave that organization immediately. A good catcher will have her choice of multiple teams most likely. It's highly unusual for a team to just use one catcher. Sadly plenty of organizations seem to care more about winning immediately than about building a team and organization the right way. Hence you have 'elite' players and their parents coming in and making demands and getting them. Sad but it seems to be a reality no matter where you're at. Eight teams in four years should be a huge red flag.

I've never heard someone tell a catcher to be flat footed LOL. That's crazy. I'd only agree with the helmet off part. It significantly increases the odds of tracking and catching a pop up behind or around the plate. My daughter's a catcher and it made a world of difference. The other catcher on the team refuses to rip her helmet off and can rarely even find popups much less catch them.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan

I would say the right way to catch is a combination what your dd has been told, I find problems with both coaches there. Do your dd a favor and get the NECC dvd and watch it together and then learn it together. Your dd's skills will improve.

Good luck on getting your dd onto a team that values her more.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I agree with others who are telling you you should leave that organization immediately. A good catcher will have her choice of multiple teams most likely. It's highly unusual for a team to just use one catcher. Sadly plenty of organizations seem to care more about winning immediately than about building a team and organization the right way. Hence you have 'elite' players and their parents coming in and making demands and getting them. Sad but it seems to be a reality no matter where you're at. Eight teams in four years should be a huge red flag.

I've never heard someone tell a catcher to be flat footed LOL. That's crazy. I'd only agree with the helmet off part. It significantly increases the odds of tracking and catching a pop up behind or around the plate. My daughter's a catcher and it made a world of difference. The other catcher on the team refuses to rip her helmet off and can rarely even find popups much less catch them.

No offense, but you need to visit the catching forum here. It will be an eye opener.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole