what would umpires consider a bunt?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 6, 2013
Regardless of the "tips" people use (bat crossing the plate, wrists "break", hands separated, bat moving forward, backward, sideways, yada, yada, yada), none are relevant. A bunt is an attempt to intentionally tap a ball into the infield. A swing is just what it is, the swinging of the bat. Holding a bat up and/or out with the intent to tap the ball is not "swinging" the bat.

Running forward hold a bat in place is not a swing. Running forward and moving the bat to strike the ball is a swing no matter how short or abbreviated, fast or slow, it may be.

Lol. I had this exact thing happen to us on Saturday night. 2 strikes, batter runs through the zone with bat out to bunt. She fouled it. Plate umpire called foul ball. I called time just to very politely get a clarification. He asked field ump. Field ump said foul ball. I bit my tongue and said thanks and walked back into dugout. Between innings I asked for better clarification. Plate ump said he thought girl was swinging but held up and actually checked her swing. I had no problem and thanked him for the explanation. Field ump who umps way too many of our games from behind the plate said that if a girl holds a bat in a bunt position and runs through the zone that is considered a swing because the bat moves through. She has to be stationary for a bunt. He used the lack of a "slap bunt" definition as the reason there are no slap bunts. I will certainly use this to our advantage when he is behind the plate. Lol.

Nov 17, 2010
Not sure if you are trying to indicate the batter was showing bunt or not with 2 strikes. Regardless, even if she was, trying to get out of the way of a pitch is not longer attempting to bunt the ball and I would have nothing more than a foul ball.

Right, the batter is not showing bunt - just trying to get out of the way.

Thanks!

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Right, the batter is not showing bunt - just trying to get out of the way.

By rule, a bunt must be an intentiional act by a batter. If the ball hits the bat while the batter is ducking or diving out of the way, with no intent to hit the ball, then it can't be a bunt.

It is, however, a batted ball. Whatever happens next is the same as on any other batted ball. In this case, the result was a foul ball and since it wasn't a bunt attempt it's not strike three. Just a plain old foul ball.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Lol. I had this exact thing happen to us on Saturday night. 2 strikes, batter runs through the zone with bat out to bunt. She fouled it. Plate umpire called foul ball. I called time just to very politely get a clarification. He asked field ump. Field ump said foul ball. I bit my tongue and said thanks and walked back into dugout. Between innings I asked for better clarification. Plate ump said he thought girl was swinging but held up and actually checked her swing. I had no problem and thanked him for the explanation. Field ump who umps way too many of our games from behind the plate said that if a girl holds a bat in a bunt position and runs through the zone that is considered a swing because the bat moves through. She has to be stationary for a bunt. He used the lack of a "slap bunt" definition as the reason there are no slap bunts. I will certainly use this to our advantage when he is behind the plate. Lol.

Well, it is a foul ball, there is no question about that.

Whether the batter would be declared out all depends on whether it is a bunt or not. But again, you have umpires offering justifications that simply do not exist in the rule or definitions of a bunt. If an umpire cannot tell the difference between a bunt and a swing, s/he needs to find a sport that does not include a bat.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
If the bat makes contact with the pitch in this manner does it meet the definition of a bunt?
Would a batter who has 2 strikes and fouls a pitch in this manner be out?

Probably. Obviously, it would be something I'd have to see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand