What to talk to your DD about when plays college softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Since I've been through this twice, here is some advice for parents of kids who are playing college sports:

Whenever you see your DD, the first thing you should talk about is her school work and how she is progressing toward her educational goal. Minimize the amount of time talking about sports.

Why?

In HS, your DD was surrounded most of the day by people (teachers, family and friends) who weren't focused on softball. So, your DD was able to stay balanced and focused on something other than sports.

In college, your DD will be surrounded almost 24x7 by coaches and players who are primarily interested in softball. If you feed into "softball frenzy", your DD just might forget that softball is just something she does for a few years. Talk about her classes and her teachers and whether she likes her courses.

You have to help your DD stay on top of classes. Her coaches probably won't. And, I guarantee you that her team will be encouraging your DD *NOT* to worry about school.

You will be surprised by how little time you have with your DD. Take that little time you have together to talk about the important things in life. (And, softball isn't one of those things.)

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Absolutely on target. School comes first. As long as that's the case, I have one bottom line question for my D3 DD - Are you still having fun playing softball? Yes=great, carry on. No=no need to keep playing.

Personally, I love the game and watching her play, but there's 3 more years at most before golf, fly fishing, etc. or, gulp, the honey do list will take over center stage.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Do you know what I told my DD? "Avoid parties, etc. with the male professors." That is what I remember mostly from junior college. These guys thought that every co-ed was there to date them. (It did seem different when I got to IL State.)

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
DD said a player sent a mass text out yesterday asking if anyone wants to go "clubbing" this next weekend. Of course I asked "what's clubbing"? :rolleyes: I told her we didn't do those things back in my college days. Then I ran inside before I got struck by lightning.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
DD said a player sent a mass text out yesterday asking if anyone wants to go "clubbing" this next weekend. Of course I asked "what's clubbing"? :rolleyes: I told her we didn't do those things back in my college days. Then I ran inside before I got struck by lightning.

Haha and I'm sure she believed you too :)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Well, we didn't send out a mass text, for sure. I guess your DD found out who wanted to go, by what they replied. Pat Summitt never allowed the basketball girls to go to bars. She found out almost any time, that they went. She told them that it looked bad for the program. I mean the players are still just 18,19 and 20.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
20 years ago? I have the feeling its more like 20 minutes ago.

Too old for that stuff now, but there was a time before DD.....................

My club now is in the backyard on a Saturday night...........tiki torches......grill smoking......pool lights on......Led Zepplin.......iced beverage and a little DFP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad