What to do...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...

Well...the coach called us today and told her "I would like to see you catch some. I probably misspoke. Your primary will be CF and secondary catcher. In most pool games we have players in positions other than their primary". For DD this was enough. She made the decision. Still stressed to tell her current coach. We have known him since she was 2 so it is going to be ugly.

Hopefully it wont be ugly if he knows you that well and that she wants to play at the next level. If not, good to be done with him anyway. BEST OF LUCK to your DD!

Apr 26, 2015
It was ugly. I told him this was a possibility on Monday. He still asked us to come to tryouts and asked me to help. I checked all the girls in, took pictures and talked him up for 2 hours to all the parents. Never once bad mouthed him - because honestly I like him, DD likes him. He is a good coach with a good report with the girls. He called me again last night and begged DD to stay. She had a great time at tryouts. Was happy, energetic and enthusiatic. But the second we got in the car she said "I'm ready. I'm done. No looking back." This was her decision.,

He told me we were disloyal (4 years onhis team), that he had been more than fair with everything we asked (he was very accomodating to her when she played multiple sports) and that we were not doing the same. He said DD should have been more interested in texting and social media if she wanted to be more locked in with the girls (um no thanks!). Ok. I'm sure this was all said out of anger and frustration ... :(

Got the welcome letter from the new team. Could not be nicer! Bittersweet day.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
We lost our #2 pitcher to hip injury, #3 pitcher hand got sliced by metal cleats.

Sally you are a pitcher now. :) not big fan of quest players but might need to rethink this.

As coach has you just move on, if players wants to go somewhere else say my piece and it is over. She still is invited to DD's birthday party.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Ah, sorry to hear this. We had a similar situation once (not softball related). My kids took Tae Kwon Do for about 6 years. There is a franchise in Atlanta with multiple locations. They started at the location nearest to us and were there about 4 years. It got to the point where it became more like "playtime" than serious training. DD, in particular, was very jokey-jokey with the instructors. We were locked into an expensive contract, and I was so frustrated because it felt like we were basically flushing $$ down the toilet. We visited one of the other locations and really liked the instructor and decided to move both kids from one location to the other.

I had to go in to see the head instructor of the "old" studio and tell him we'd made the decision to move. It was ugly. He said some stuff to me that I literally could not believe. He said something to the effect of, "Well, you know your kids aren't athletic anyway" and "They'll never succeed in TKD." I was stunned. We had done nothing but be supportive and pay thousands of dollars to this place. He turned on us like a snake. I do believe his feelings were hurt and he was taking our move personally. Our decision was not a personal attack on him, but he certainly reacted that way. I was super upset for quite some time, but you know what, this is your former coach's issue, not yours. After he has some time to think about it, hopefully he will realize that this was not a betrayal. It was a decision made for your child and her advancement in the sport. And if he doesn't come to that conclusion, well, tough beans, Daddy-o.

Apr 12, 2016
Minnesota
It was ugly. I told him this was a possibility on Monday. He still asked us to come to tryouts and asked me to help. I checked all the girls in, took pictures and talked him up for 2 hours to all the parents. Never once bad mouthed him - because honestly I like him, DD likes him. He is a good coach with a good report with the girls. He called me again last night and begged DD to stay. She had a great time at tryouts. Was happy, energetic and enthusiatic. But the second we got in the car she said "I'm ready. I'm done. No looking back." This was her decision.,

He told me we were disloyal (4 years onhis team), that he had been more than fair with everything we asked (he was very accomodating to her when she played multiple sports) and that we were not doing the same. He said DD should have been more interested in texting and social media if she wanted to be more locked in with the girls (um no thanks!). Ok. I'm sure this was all said out of anger and frustration ... :(

Got the welcome letter from the new team. Could not be nicer! Bittersweet day.
Enjoy the new team and don't look back. Players come and go from teams all the time. Loyalty is an interesting term for him to use. He was "loyal" to you and your DD because she is a good player. He hates to lose her because she is a good player. It has nothing to do with loyalty. If the 11th best player on his roster left the team he probably wouldn't even care.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Apr 26, 2015
Enjoy the new team and don't look back. Players come and go from teams all the time. Loyalty is an interesting term for him to use. He was "loyal" to you and your DD because she is a good player. He hates to lose her because she is a good player. It has nothing to do with loyalty. If the 11th best player on his roster left the team he probably wouldn't even care.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Exactly! As a matter of fact - last year he let our AC's daughter go in an email that he sent to 40 other girls who didn't make the team. Loyalty? LOL!

Apr 26, 2015
Found out yesterday 3 other players who were supposed to be returning have accepted offers on other teams. So glad we made the decision we did - when we did. Instead of having 9 returning players he is down to 4 - and they are all coaches kids/grandkids. Eeek!

DD is so happy - she gets to keep her number on her new team too! Must be a sign! :)

Jun 12, 2015
After 4 years of coaching her you would think he'd want what was best for her. He'll probably settle down and get over it.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
After 4 years of coaching her you would think he'd want what was best for her. He'll probably settle down and get over it.

You sure hope so but, if not, roll with the new and don't look back. It is what it is and it sounds like your way better off. Keep you head up and don't let DD see your frustrations.

Thanks for sharing! We are back playing for a coach that could have been really upset w us for Leaving but he was super chill about it and here we are again. :). His attitude about us leaving is what brought us back

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse