What to do...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
Just some input from a college coach to my dd: He tells her toward the end of the camp: "You can get picked up to play a different position than a pitcher. What I want to see is a softball player not a positional player." Interesting enough, he had her play 3rd, a position she has never played before. He like her glove work and her transitioning from fielding to throwing. He had one of his college players go work with her on foot work. Then he says, "by all means, keep pitching because you never know when the college team can use another pitcher."

Apr 26, 2015

Well...the coach called us today and told her "I would like to see you catch some. I probably misspoke. Your primary will be CF and secondary catcher. In most pool games we have players in positions other than their primary". For DD this was enough. She made the decision. Still stressed to tell her current coach. We have known him since she was 2 so it is going to be ugly.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England

Well...the coach called us today and told her "I would like to see you catch some. I probably misspoke. Your primary will be CF and secondary catcher. In most pool games we have players in positions other than their primary". For DD this was enough. She made the decision. Still stressed to tell her current coach. We have known him since she was 2 so it is going to be ugly.

It might be emotional, but it shouldn't be ugly. I would expect a true family friend to encourage your DD to pursue a greater opportunity.

Who, if offered a free ride to an Ivy League school, would pay to go to the local Community college because that's where their friends were going or a family friend taught? Kids' abilities, interests and commitment levels typically diverge and individual journies unfold accordingly.

Jun 12, 2015
Hopefully it will not be ugly. If her coach is a reasonable guy who really wants what's best for his players, he'll be disappointed to lose her, but happy for her.

Apr 26, 2015
Just found out he lost his best pitcher last night too. I do not want to make this call today. He knows it is a possibility but basically begged me last night to have her stay one more year. I put it in her court and she made the decision. When we changed soccer teams there were tears for days - she has not stopped smiling since she made this decision. I know it will be different - and a long drive for us - but I feel like the change at this point will be good.

Thank you all for the advice!

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
We lose players all the time, x percentage come back at some point.

If a coach gets all wound up about it, probably not a team you want to be on anyways.

Good luck to your DD, hope it all works out for her.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2015
illinois
Just found out he lost his best pitcher last night too. I do not want to make this call today. He knows it is a possibility but basically begged me last night to have her stay one more year. I put it in her court and she made the decision. When we changed soccer teams there were tears for days - she has not stopped smiling since she made this decision. I know it will be different - and a long drive for us - but I feel like the change at this point will be good.

Thank you all for the advice!

We were in a similar situation a few years back. DD started and played two years of 10u, and one year of 12u for a coach that was building a feeder program for the high school. (didnt really work out, but thats a different story) DD really liked the coach. I really liked the coach and still do. He just had a different philosophy towards the level of play he wanted his team to be at at the time. I stressed for a long time about telling him we were leaving due to feeling like we were bailing on the team. A few other girls were leaving and I knew that. I am not sure if he did. I was straight up with him and told him why we were going to another team, and my feelings on it. He was really cool about it, and said I was stressing over the decision too much. He could tell I was nervous to talk to him. Hopefully your talk goes as well.

Feb 7, 2013
K-Power - thanks for sharing your family's personal softball journey. Many of us have been in similar situations and can empathize with you. While it may be hard at first to leave a team and coaches that you have been with for many years, at the end of the day you and your DD are making the right decision as she will grow exponentially as a player and will not have the "baggage" holding her back from the prior team (whether intentional or not). Good luck and keep us updated on the new team and experiences.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Sending positive vibes to you today. Everyone is right; your current coach should be happy for her. He's going to have to do some recruiting, but it's still early in tryout season and he has time to replace you and the pitcher. I always, always worry about hurting people's feelings too, and at some point, you have to do what's right for your kid. Coaches get that. It's just the people who bail in the middle of the season or are shady/dishonest about it that upset them, I think. Sounds like you're communicated your thoughts and concerns with him already. This should not come as a huge surprise to him. Let us know how the convo goes today.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
"Not playing C for a year at age 13 does not mean that your DD can't ever play the position again!"

I know a BIG XII player that was told she wasnt capable of being a catcher at 13 but caught at least 2 games at the WCWS this year as a freshman and it was her first year behind the plate since she was 13. So I agree it can be done even at the highest level.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad