What to do...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 26, 2015
The team currently offering her a spot is probably one of the best coached teams in the state. They always have winning records and rarely if ever hold open tryouts. They girls on that team have been together for 4 years. They advertised for a catcher - thats the main reason we went. Ugh.

They are also probably one of the "richest" teams in the state with unbelievable facilities and equipment at their disposal. DD would definitely be the poor kid on the team. Lol!

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD was a catcher through 14's when she started to shine in the OF. She slowly transitioned away from C but still was called upon to catch even in her last tournament. That being said, all her offers to play in college were for OF. Only one said they might use her behind the plate and they all knew she caught but never asked to see her even at camps. Another thing to think about is there is only one catcher on the field. You can be the 3rd best OF on a team and still play tons which could mean you are playing for a better team. In this case her reach team.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My suggestion would be to join the best team she can as an outfielder and let her work to earn some time behind the plate.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Parents say that want an objective evaluation of their DD...but, parents never seem to like it when they get one.

Coaches from a highly successful TB program evaluated your DD. If the TB program is good, they know much more about softball players than you do. They have worked with hundreds of kids, and have seen thousands.

Their evaluation of your DD: Your DD can play at a high level in the OF. She cannot play C at a high level.

They see your DD slapping, hitting for power, stealing bases and scoring runs. They see her making game saving catches in the OF.

If your DD is fast, it is really a waste to put her behind the plate. She simply won't have the legs during a game to attack on the bases. (At high levels of play, finding a "good" catcher or a "good" pitcher isn't difficult. It is finding all of the other pieces that is hard.)

Your DD is saying, "Sounds great! I would love to play the OF!" (I suspect that your DD also knows that she will never be a great catcher.)

So, who is really stopping the parade?

By the way:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KP0uoO_Lmjg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2015
^^^Well DD said it sounded great until they said OF only...
She keeps telling me - "why did every umpire compliment me? Why do parents from opposing teams find me in the parking lot and compliment me?"

She is very fast on the bases - given she is only 13 and 80lbs. She does slap, bunt and hit away - I know strange combo for a catcher. I think a lot of coaches discount her because she is so little.

Last week she was brought in after a terrible inning with our other catcher. The ump looked at her and said "oh, so they're bringing in the little one. Don't worry, your not full grown. Well God bless you for trying". After the game he apologized to her and told her he had never been so well protected.

But thank you for your honest advice - I know as a parent we can tend to see our own children thru rose colored glasses. I appreciate the honesty -

May 17, 2012
I would be careful about making judgments on your daughters ability with regards to what the high level team is offering. They may be set at catcher but they are needing a third (or fourth) outfielder so that's what they offered to your daughter.

She may be just as good as the other catcher(s) but those other catchers do not play outfield. I am assuming it wasn't an open tryout for all positions (it never is).

They are doing what's best for the team and you need to do what's best for your daughter. If those two match than the decision is easy. I would tryout for other teams and get additional feedback if your daughter really wants to catch.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Not playing C for a year at age 13 does not mean that your DD can't ever play the position again! My DD had to put her catching on the shelf for the better part of two seasons because of serious daddyball issues. Her ability to play other positions (and hit) ensured her playing time while she kept her catching skills sharp working on her own. Those same abilities also ensured her playing time her first year of college when there was a strong senior captain C.

At this time, it's hard to see an 80 lb 13 yr old as a high level TB or college catcher, but who knows exactly how much she'll end up growing, whether her speed will remain elite, and what her best position will be 5 years from now! I'd be inclined to try a year with the dream team as an OF who is on record as being eager to take advantage of any C opportunities available and see where that takes her.

Nov 18, 2013
Does she want to play in college? You’ll face similar challenges when it comes to recruiting. She could still be a catcher, she’d just have more options in the OF.

Nov 18, 2013
^^^Well DD said it sounded great until they said OF only...
She keeps telling me - "why did every umpire compliment me? Why do parents from opposing teams find me in the parking lot and compliment me?"

She is very fast on the bases - given she is only 13 and 80lbs. She does slap, bunt and hit away - I know strange combo for a catcher. I think a lot of coaches discount her because she is so little.

Last week she was brought in after a terrible inning with our other catcher. The ump looked at her and said "oh, so they're bringing in the little one. Don't worry, your not full grown. Well God bless you for trying". After the game he apologized to her and told her he had never been so well protected.

But thank you for your honest advice - I know as a parent we can tend to see our own children thru rose colored glasses. I appreciate the honesty -

Sounds like your DD has a ton of heart and is deserving of all the praise she receives. I’m sure its sincere, but a portion might be “she’s such a good catcher…for her size”. If she were 5’8”, 140 it wouldn’t be such a surprise and she might not hear as many compliments. It’s completely unfair, but being a lefty and so small she’s going to have a tough time getting recruited as a catcher. It sounds like she’s already impressing people as an outfielder and there’s no caveats to go with it. The decision has to be hers, but it sounds like the sky’s the limit as an OF. Playing for one of the top teams you described I think she’d love that so much she wouldn’t care which position she played.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad