What to do?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2008
At the region 7 gold qualifier in San Antonio this weekend there were college coaches of all levels tripping over each other. Couldn't spill your drink without hitting one. Down here the kids seem to jump from 14U to gold. 16A and 18A is very short on talent to watch and the regional gold rosters had plenty of 11's and 12's. Your location may vary. Having said that, it's as much about marketing as it is being in the right place. More really. If a college coach knows a kid wants to play for them, and they can watch a video clip, preferably on line, or they play for a name team, your chances of getting evaluated in person are good. Don't be shy. If the coach wants your kid, they won't mind being emailed often. If they don't want your kid, who cares if they think you email too often. Be proactive.

May 12, 2008
I know you know a lot of this stuff but I post for all those who learn from your question and my answer without ever posting. Another thought on team selection, if she doesn't have fun at it, that's no good either. I think an online link to a short skills video and playing places the colleges she is interested in can watch her play are key factors. If she's willing to go to school far from home, being on a "name" team that often or always qualifies for gold nationals and has a berth at one of the big Colorado tournaments and other big exposure venues becomes more important.

Jun 6, 2009
At the region 7 gold qualifier in San Antonio this weekend there were college coaches of all levels tripping over each other. Couldn't spill your drink without hitting one. Down here the kids seem to jump from 14U to gold. 16A and 18A is very short on talent to watch and the regional gold rosters had plenty of 11's and 12's. Your location may vary. Having said that, it's as much about marketing as it is being in the right place. More really. If a college coach knows a kid wants to play for them, and they can watch a video clip, preferably on line, or they play for a name team, your chances of getting evaluated in person are good. Don't be shy. If the coach wants your kid, they won't mind being emailed often. If they don't want your kid, who cares if they think you email too often. Be proactive.

Exactly. This was my experience as well.

Feb 16, 2009
"We don't have programs in our area that sell themselves as "gold." We do have quality teams such as the St. Louis Chaos, Southern Force, Midland Magic that all play gold but have teams at all levels. A lot of 16U ball in our area is very good ball"

We're from IN and I specifically asked this question at college camps this year asking head coach from WSeries winner WA and big ten schools at same camps - your very question. My dd is playing up to 18U. They all told me to drop her back down to 16U. Larry Ray at Arizona said same thing - they all have their lineups 2 years in advance. We should start marketing our daughters as Freshmen. 16u Nationals most visited tourney by college coaches. Most accept that a lot of 18Us already committed so they're going after the 16U's for future. So we're dropping back down as dd can play 16U for 2 full years now. In our area 16U is quite competitive. Having played 18 all summer - big variety of talent as 16Us are thrown in there with B-level 18U and and A-level talent.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
NWIN, What did they tell you about HS ball? I keep hearing from posters, that it isn't necessary in CA. But, I coached college ball in IL. and I wanted them on the HS team. I see you are in IN. and I thought that it might be the same for you.

I know there is always exceptions.

Feb 16, 2009
It seems the HS ball might have more importance toward recruiting if you are attending a regional school where the college coaches have access to some area papers and know who the kids are on the HS teams. In other words, in our area there are a number of local Div. I schools which comprise the Horizon League which include Valpo, UIC, Butler, Loyola, Wright State, etc. These coaches may know HS kids because of the close proximities of schools, word of mouth and accessability of various newspapers. But playing HS ball as a prerequisite? No. We have a girl on our 4A HS Varsity team who played her first year of HS ball (ran track previous 3 years) this year. She already had a SB scholarship to Purdue based on her travel experience entirely. I understand a lot of high school programs have a hard time fielding teams at all and don't get the best talent. Ours is a 4A school with a reputation of being tough to make their team, winning state, etc. and playing a lot of the top talent in our area so it's a little different than if you are in a small rural area. At a recent camp at one of these schools the head coach did ask my daughter specifically what HS she would be attending in the Fall and nodded appreciatively as one of their girls attended same HS. I've noticed on college questionnaires they ask to outright name some of the best competition you've played with/against. That could really mean HS or travel but a general question which encompasses both. But playing on a good travel organization seems to hold more weight - the experience of playing nationals, and just "making" said team itself.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog