What to do if your teammates have mailed the season in

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 4, 2013
I'll share something my daughter said about school ball when I commented on a really good at bat. She said "Dad, I can't strikeout because I don't want to let [a player a year older] down." And she meant it. It was from the heart. It may seem a bit cheesy, but she raises her game because of how she wants another girl or two on the team, older girls that she respects, to see her as a player. The hard part is figuring out what those couple girls do to make her feel that way.

I don't think it has to do with any one thing they say. It sure isn't anything critical said after a mistake. The coach handles that. They are good teammates for sure. They are there early and late helping to do the things required to get practice going or get the bus loaded, but its more than that. They make more than their share of the plays and get more than their share of the hits. That's probably due to work done on their own. On the field, they are making sure everyone has defensive responsibilities straight. Putting a finer point in it, they are identifying people they can help who may have a question or something they can fix, and making sure its taken care of and setting pretty strong example as they go. IMHO, everyone can tell the difference between a player on the field talking because someone said they should be talking and a player who has something important to say to her teammates. Only be that second one.

When my kid screws up, the coach holds her accountable ["that isn't what we worked on, that isn't what won you a spot"]. But a couple teammates who do things the right way go a long way to encouraging her to do her very best. Softball is a lot of work even for those who may be phoning it in. Keep doing your best to do things the right way, and your teammates might decide go all in with you. The worst that can happen is when the season is over, you gave it your all.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Q-I find that funny too! lol! :D the weather has actually been nicer in Switzerland than it has been here!
Even though the weathers better, she's not playing softball there, it's a school thing!

Nov 29, 2009
Gabby,

What you're running into the 80/20 rule. The definition of the rule is 80% of the work is done by 20% of the people. You'll bump into it throughout your life. The good news. You are one of the 20%. Good luck with your season and do your best so you'll know for sure you did everything you could to be successful.

Jun 12, 2015
Gabby,

What you're running into the 80/20 rule. The definition of the rule is 80% of the work is done by 20% of the people. You'll bump into it throughout your life. The good news. You are one of the 20%. Good luck with your season and do your best so you'll know for sure you did everything you could to be successful.

Is it good news? Sometimes I look at coworkers, fellow volunteers, etc. coasting through life on the work of the people willing to do it, and I think, what would that be like, and why can't I make myself try it?

Seriously though, it'll be true in every job you ever have, every group project you ever do. Sad but true.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Gabby,

You will def see it in the workplace your whole life :)

But with softball...its not good, but sometimes you have to play for your own pride and let others deal with being slackers. When I go home, I want to know I played my best and did everything
I could. If somebody didn't, they have to live with it. But when the ride stops and you cant play anymore, looking back and realizing you wasted games where you coasted thru, will eat you up.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2009
But when the ride stops and you cant play anymore, looking back and realizing you wasted games where you coasted thru, will eat you up.

For the 80%'ers who were raised by the same. It will not matter to them. For the 20%'ers it can kill them if they are not contributing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00