What the #$%#$@?? Ump on the fritz!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Who cares so much about chaulk... we just got done playing for almost a year with no chaulk at all.

May 29, 2015
Now: What is wrong with you Blue?! What are you doing to the lines!? How is our pitcher supposed to know where home plate is now!? What if my batter accidentally walks over to the dugout because there is no chalk line to contain her?! That's on you!
(NOTE: like a demon -- batters are stopped and contained by chalk and/or salt lines).

Next inning (after a call goes against them): What is wrong with you Blue?! Anybody can see those lines are crooked! What are you calling!?

:rolleyes:

Jun 19, 2016
I have seen lines been drawn way too close to the plate and the result is usually hit batters. If they lines were drawn wrong he was justified in getting rid of them.

Dec 11, 2010
You say this like you are surprised...Parents are by far the worse thing about youth sports in 2021. Heck my DW told me a Dad on Marcela's bball team was getting on her about a bad pass she made when his kid can barely catch a pass. Luckily I don't go to the games..
When my older dd played basketball there was a family that showed up to the games and would yell at players that they weren’t related to. It was awful. For some reason it really sets me off when people yell at other people’s kids.

Jun 8, 2016
When my older dd played basketball there was a family that showed up to the games and would yell at players that they weren’t related to. It was awful. For some reason it really sets me off when people yell at other people’s kids.
Yeah..like I said, I am glad I wasn’t there and the other guy is even luckier that Grandpa (my Dad) wasn’t there 😂

The coach actually addressed it with all the parents afterwards.

Dec 11, 2010
I’m glad to hear that.

I hope the “talking to” helps but these people usually just need the boot from the team to cure it.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2014
I will -- and have -- done this. If the ground crew can't get it right, don't bother because you are messing up my game. I have chased ground crews off my field because they couldn't get it right. I'd rather have no lines than wrong lines.

Typically, if this is necessary, I will bring it up at the plate meeting so the coaches are aware. When the first batter comes up I will usually tell her/him: "Did you know that if you erase one of my lines, it's a strike? But I can do it ... and these are wrong."
Love it. I pray that we get an umpire like you one day that knows wth they are doing. 10 years and still waiting..............

CoachJ5513

BlueJ5513
Sep 29, 2010
Texas
I had a Texas 2A regional final game (NFHS) where the batter boxes were 4'x6' and about a 3" river
I let the coaches know at the plate conference that I would be enforcing regulation box and that batters would be reminded to maintain 6" from plate

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA